IGNORED

[SOLD] WTB Stock Series 1 240Z

Guest pazt2prezent

On 2/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, pazt2prezent said:

The nit picking is one of the things that bothers me about forums and why I haven't been active previously. I was asked to share picts of my other cars and I did. Give the new guy a break. I'll stick to my Z's only going forward...

I don't see anything about "above" in his first reply.

Just a clarification.  Removing some bias.

On 2/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, pazt2prezent said:

Thanks! Was a rookie mistake ;) Hope to have my 10 year project '72 240 RB swap done this year...will be sure to share picts then...you have to forgive the crummy paint job on the 620...it's the raw material for the future beauty!

He was planning to come back, and share.

17 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Either you missed his professed antipathy to forums early in the thread (precis: "I'm usually above all this, but I'm looking for a car...") or you yourself are suffering from a slight dose of cognitive bias.

The antipathy was to people who nitpick.  Not the forum itself.

Edit - and if that's not a biased "precis" I don't know what biased means.

Edit 2 - I did have to look up precis though...

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, JSM said:

Understanding you've ruffled his feathers, instead of dropping it, apologizing or wording it in way that you know you could have as an expert, you continued to add why the facts you know are the only right ones and that you own "genuine" one.  Clearly, regardless of the facts you know about cars, the way you handled this is simply wrong.  You understood he took it as an insult but didn't care because the facts were more important to YOU.  How is this inviting to a newbie in anyway? 

OK, I'll take a shot at explaining to you.

My gut reaction (hey, I'm a Kerouac fan, I do stream of consciousness...) was that he is used to telling people all about his "HAKO clone", and that they usually swallow it whole because they've only seen such cars in video games. Hence his 'Wikipedia' comment. Maybe that usually works for him. Not this time. He had no idea that I own a genuine KPGC10 GT-R. OK it's not a poker game, but... I know a bit about C10-series Skylines. I'm going to chew a little before I swallow.

I think post #60 is a very wise take on all this. What did he bring to the party? At least bring a bottle. I'd say he didn't want to come in the first place. Part of his first response to me was to note that I'm a 'Supporting Member'. So what? He actually insulted all of us and the forum itself with his Wikipedia comment, as though he was somehow *better*. He wasn't.

I'll go a little further (what harm?). People who show up with photos of their 'portfolio' are usually jacks of all trades and masters of none. I don't trust them. There was a similar instance a few months back with a guy trying to sell an S30 Fairlady Z, telling all sorts of stories (ex-race car etc etc) and once he had showed photos of his - and I'll be polite here - somewhat unfocused 'collection' of old cars and his real estate, people here were falling over themselves to compliment him. Somehow that stuff seems to turn heads and make eyes flutter. He too was here to use the forum in the same way as a dog uses a lamp post. Just passing through...

But, I'm willing to learn. How would you have advised me to respond? My original point still stands; his term "HAKO clone" makes no sense. What should have followed? A bouquet and a polite note? 

30 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The antipathy was to people who nitpick.  Not the forum itself.

Shall we define "nitpick"? How about "comments from people who might know a little more than you initially thought they do"?  

You would have swallowed anything he wrote. Go back and look at your reaction to his 'Ken & Mary' story. You almost fainted in a swoon. I was getting ready with the smelling salts. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "nitpicking" (and whatever else you want to call it) is the very lifeblood of a forum like this. That's part of the process of us coming to understand these cars properly and making the forum worth its salt. We have - in case some of you newcomers haven't noticed - been at it for a few years now. If cowboy Florida Fred over here doesn't like it then that's his loss. This is an automotive forum not a dating site.      

• Like 1

Anyone who gets offended at someone politely offering a correction needs thicker skin. Are we not here to weed out the BS from the facts? I've spent a good amount of time with the search function on here and HybridZ, and there's a LOT of BS in older threads that goes unchecked.

I will admit that in the past, Alan's so-called nitpicking has not always been appreciated (although I do generally appreciate the knowledge he shares, and the accuracy of it), but having read the original correction, and the response from the thread starter, I don't see the problem. I was surprised he took it so poorly, like it was an attack on him. Too much pride to accept criticism. That attitude isn't going to get you very far.

I haven't really read past the first page, but I think JSM's post quoted in post #76 touches on a good point. There comes a time where you've made your point and driving it in further doesn't make you look good, especially on something that is so minor. Pick your battles, and know when to simply bow out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HS30-H said:

But, I'm willing to learn. How would you have advised me to respond? My original point still stands; his term "HAKO clone" makes no sense. What should have followed? A bouquet and a polite note? 

You remind me of Tony D on hyrbirdz whom I actually like and respect a lot.  You seem like what I call a bring brain person. (It’s a compliment.  When I start to learn info about individuals i catorgize them.)  I’m a proponent of knowledge is the most valuable commodity.  My own thing just ignore it.

What works against you is your OCD. Just let it go. In the end how important is it if he’s happy calling it whatever he calls it. It makes sense to him and that is all that is important to him. 

This is a great forum. With great members.  If you go on Facebook much you see some off the wall stuff.  This is much better. 

My 20 year old daughter goes look at that yellow car. I said, you mean the yellow truck? She says yeah I catorgorize all cars and trucks as cars.  Inside I’m like that’s weird. Verbally I just said ok. It’s just not that important. 

• Mike locked this topic