IGNORED

1972 240Z Driveshaft to Differential Bolts

Bambikiller240

Hello All: Can anyone help me? My 1972 240Z Factory Manual specifies that these bolts be oriented so that the nuts are toward the driveshaft/U-joint (boltheads against the Diff front flange).

The problem I have is that the bolts are too long (even though they are original) to feed through the flange. The front seal cover(?) of the diff is too close to the flange to allow the bolts to be slipped into the flange.

Will my car fly off the road if I install the bolts "backwards" to the manuals reccomendation? Why do they specify this?

Thank You to all for any assistance/advice.

Thanks, Carl cstahlnecker@hotmail.com

• Like 1

No Carl, your car won't fly off the road if you install them backward. biggrin.gif

I usually put my nuts (okay, no laughing) on the side which is easier to tighten. Use self-locking nuts, they will give you that extra added feeling of protection.

Now, as far as putting them in, jack up the rear end, release the e-brake and put the tranny in neutral. You can then rotate the whole assembly by pushing on the rear tire. Once you rotate it, you can reach each of the bolts easily.

Have someone there to hold the tire while you tighten the nuts.

[m]

------------------

Mike Gholson

1971 240z, Mikuni Carbs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts, Ferarri Yellow, Stock Engine, 15x9 wheels w/50 series Falken tires, Currently being restored.

Mike:

Thanks for the reply. I knew how to rotate the shaft etc, its just that the bolts were only mildly difficult to remove, but seem IMPOSSIBLE to get back in the same way.

Also, this is my third Z; previously had a late 73 (actually a early 260 in everyway except 2.4 L motor), then a late 71 (that I transformed into a early 260 in everyway except for the requisite SU Carbs & bare 71 chassis). Anyway, I never encountered this much difficulty with either of the those cars.

Thanks again for your reply, Mike

Carl

Originally posted by Carl:

Mike:

I knew how to rotate the shaft etc, its just that the bolts were only mildly difficult to remove, but seem IMPOSSIBLE to get back in the same way.

Hmmm.... Only thing I can think of is to put the bolts in before you raise the shaft into position. Then again, it might not be possible.

The only reason I suggested rotating the shaft is to position it so the bolts can slide in easier. On mine, I had to rotate it because the two plates (held together by the u-joint) would pinch together at the top. They would widen at the bottom just enough to get a wrench in.

As far as clearance, it is tight. I think that might be normal. If it's TOO TIGHT, something might not be positioned correctly. Or your tranny/diff mounts might be shifted.

------------------

Mike Gholson

1971 240z, Mikuni Carbs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts, Ferarri Yellow, Stock Engine, 15x9 wheels w/50 series Falken tires, Currently being restored.

• 21 years later...
On 3/30/2000 at 3:35 AM, Bambikiller240 said:

Hello All: Can anyone help me? My 1972 240Z Factory Manual specifies that these bolts be oriented so that the nuts are toward the driveshaft/U-joint (boltheads against the Diff front flange).

The problem I have is that the bolts are too long (even though they are original) to feed through the flange. The front seal cover(?) of the diff is too close to the flange to allow the bolts to be slipped into the flange.

Will my car fly off the road if I install the bolts "backwards" to the manuals reccomendation? Why do they specify this?

Thank You to all for any assistance/advice.

Thanks, Carl cstahlnecker@hotmail.com

It's Halloween so big zombie thread here.  I just ran into this problem.  If I put the bolt in the other way, the lock washer will not sit flush.  What is the deal here?

Love a good necro-post! Thanks

Do your bolts have a smooth round head with a flat on one side? Orient the bolt so that flat prevents the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut.  Memory says the nut faces the back….. 

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, zKars said:

Love a good necro-post! Thanks

Do your bolts have a smooth round head with a flat on one side? Orient the bolt so that flat prevents the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut.  Memory says the nut faces the back….. 

The bolt looks like a normal bolt, but yes the bolt is kept from turning.  The nut and lock washer went on the diff side.  It's the only way this thing can go together that I can see.  The info from the original post can't be correct when he says the FSM says the bolt goes in the other way.  Man, there is not much room to snake that 12mm wrench in there to tighten!

On 3/30/2000 at 1:35 AM, Bambikiller240 said:

My 1972 240Z Factory Manual specifies that these bolts be oriented so that the nuts are toward the driveshaft/U-joint (boltheads against the Diff front flange).

Too bad he didn't supply a ref to the chapter.  I looked in P & D and didn't see any mention at ll about nuts and bolts.

Here's a drawing from 1976 though.

image.png

And 1972...

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanTechZ said:

The parts microfiche shows this very clearly with the hex head of the bolts on the propeller shaft flange side. This is how my 1970 is assembled.

image.png

Thank you, thank you, thank you...one less thing for me to obsess about now.

• Like 1