IGNORED

Best ideas for steering wheel replacement, 1975 z

Taxelson

the steering wheel is one of the primary touch points of the car - and it's surprising how many impressions you get from it, both conscious and unconscious. i found a simulated wood 240 wheel and restored it for my 280. i like the classic look (personal preference) and absolutely love the feel - the texture of the grain, the knurls on the backside the thin profile and the large diameter all say "old school" to me and remind me i'm driving a classic sports car. i just don't get that from a thicker, softer wheel. and the large diameter reinforces the non-power steering (which i also love).

all personal preference...

I have this one sitting in my garage for sale, if interested PM me >>post-29305-0-43674400-1448838219_thumb.j a plug and play application, complete with an early Z hub adapter and rare DATSUN horn button that will work on a 280Z.

Edited by Z fan

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a prototipo momo wheel in the past in my Z. I took it off after a while. I just did not look 'right' if you know what I mean. The wheel gets closer to you as well, and it changes the perfect driving position the OEM wheel gives you.  Let me see if I can find a pic.

7179669206_b23701ef10_o.jpg

To me that just looks tiny. IF they made it the full size of the OEM wheel but with that style, it would be great.  350mm is just too small to my eyes.  A larger thicker wheel would be great. I always thought the 280Z wheel is nice looking and has the dish.

My 260 project came with a wheel similar to the one above. As soon as I sat in the car & grabbed the wheel, I knew it was going to be replaced by the one from my 71. IMO, the larger diam. wheel makes the car easier to turn at a creeping speed. A parking lot or parallel parking can be a bit of a struggle for older arms & shoulders.

A Z interior just doesn't seem complete to me, unless it has a wooden wheel & shift knob. Love the look too.

Thanks guys!

Yes, it was a difficult install. The problem is that the mounting spline dimensions from the 90-96 300ZX is different than what we have on our first gens, so I made an entire new mounting hub for the wheel, cut off the original one, and welded my replacement into it's place. Lot of work, but the end result is that the wheel is in the same location to stock and it's also about the same diameter as the original wheel.

So it's not a fancy small diameter racing wheel, but that wasn't what I was after. I wanted something that was leather and had a thicker feel to it, but didn't look aftermarket. I wanted something that it "looks like it belongs", and I like the fact that it came from the Z family.

Unfortunately it's not an easy adaptation. Here's a thread about the install with some additional pics: