IGNORED

L28+(maxima)47 build

We there was no smoking gun found. I took apart the head and put new guide seals all the way across. I used that Fel-Pro Ford seals that I’ve used before . 

I also pulled #6 piston to look at it. Nothing looked bad except all the oil on the top compression ring . Pretty soaked actually . Oddly, the second ring was pretty damn clean.  The expansion ring was properly installed and not overlapped. Kind of hard to believe the oil is coming from the bottom of the piston and not getting on the second compression ring. Makes me think the oil is coming from the top . None of the guide seals “looked “ bad . 

I put it all back together and will be firing it up shortly. Checked cam degree and it was about dead nuts , so nothing changed there. 

I did play with putting together my coolant manifold . Not that it will do any good with a none running motor -lol. 

7A1D5ACE-82AA-4947-A260-D8A010E3945F.jpeg

35 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Strange, did you check the clocking on the rings? Maybe the ends were too close to one another?

Yes - “stacked “ gaps was a concern . Still hard to explain why top ring would be covered with oil and second ring not

34 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

How did you figure the valve seals were down far enough without creating that bulge? We talked about a few years ago and I used a certain height with feeler gauges. You said you were going to make some type of spacer maybe?

I made a spacer that straddles the guide . I also invested in some guide seal pliers.  With pliers I didn’t have to tap the seals on . I had enough control with the pliers to ease them on and avoid the bulge . 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve! I may get some pliers. I remember using a deep socket to tap mine down but I didn't feel completely confident so I went with OE seals. I used the Fords as a practice run on an e88. Sometime soon I'll be putting them on an e31 with a high lift cam. Your private messaging still works the same I suppose? LOL

Many questions I'll be asking, I'm sure.

43 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Thanks Steve! I may get some pliers. I remember using a deep socket to tap mine down but I didn't feel completely confident so I went with OE seals. I used the Fords as a practice run on an e88. Sometime soon I'll be putting them on an e31 with a high lift cam. Your private messaging still works the same I suppose? LOL

Many questions I'll be asking, I'm sure.

I think you have to get them really far off to leak actually . I read all the FAQ’s about installing them , and I guarantee I didn’t get some of them ‘ perfect’ on my last motor, never had an issue . If there’s no gaping holes and you don’t plow them all the way down, I think you’ll be okay. The ones I suspect as leaking -HAD to be tapped on quite forcefully. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it doesn’t even phase me that I’m pulling this motor again. It is a bit humbling , but hey, you play you sometimes pay. Pulled the intake to find oil in 5&6 runners - again, so not the guide seals . So it’s either seeping around outside if guides or rings are failing . 
Comes out today and it’s fate will be determined . Head will be broke down to check more thoroughly for oil seepage. Block might just get swapped with a good OEM 54 sitting here on a stand- untouched since Japan and with perfect wear. 
Hoping this will only be a one week venture . I need to move on to my 3.2 build . 

Well somehow I missed this bad spot at the bottom of my bore . Since this project has has spanned over so many years I cannot remember specifically what order I did or did not do things . I ran a cheap store hone in these cylinders many years ago and I obviously missed that this spot didn’t clean up. The hone marks hid the spot enough, and I didn’t look close enough. Rings aren’t going to seal against that wall. Amateur miss for sure , but live and learn.

I moved on to the 3.2 , so maybe I could start another thread for now or just keep it here. The thread was more about the MN-47 , which will be going on the 3.2

BE73DB63-5375-4E81-ACF4-8A234BCEB148.jpeg

32C9B869-5244-4CF7-9CE2-E69F6705944D.jpeg

• Sad 2