IGNORED

Road Test - 2400 Miles in the Z Car

S30Driver

Going through Utah to Green River affords an opportunity to go by Arches and Canyonlands NP.  Another highly, highly recommended route would be to cut over to Grand Junction then down to Ouray then over the pass to Silverton and down to Durango CO, the Rockies are fantastic.

Pay close attention to those roadside signs that say "Next gas 500 miles"  

edit: park your vehicles close to your motel room as possible so you can keep an eye on them.

i always took out the coil wire overnight at motels in crummy towns.

Edited by hr369

I took highway 50 just to see what was there.  It cuts across the little hills, with miles of flat mud in between.  Each little hill was just Nevada tricking me into thinking the mud was over.  Just more mud on the other side.

Here's the view for S30's route - https://www.google.com/maps/@41.648043,-114.819495,3a,75y,158.64h,79.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8YBxh1s7eZcpu0M4Cd2fDA!2e0?hl=en

We may modify the route thru Nevada depending on the roads.  

When I lived in Denver, (Littleton) I drove the I70 & 15 route to Vegas a few times, so thought I would try to see the more southern part of the country.

Will definitely take precautions at night & park close.  (have 2 hidden anti theft devices)

I don't mean to put a downer on your trip.  Just saying that there's not much to see in that part of the country.  I was driving in the winter when it was cold and wet.  Summertime when you can stop and hear the silence will be a different story.

Just had my battery crap out (it was old) - check your battery!

Hey Buddy, Have a safe trip. As far as what else to bring, you probably already have it in the trailer. Good to be traveling with a friend, although I suspect your friend will have a lot of catching up to do. While you are waiting, you could send us pics or videos of your latest vista filled, "Italian tune-up" run for fun. I suspect there will be more than a few. BTW, does your friend carry bail money?

PM me your new address. Kathy wants to be sure you get some of the next run of "juice". It will come in a Mason jar as usual.

Take care

Mark

Will check my battery, its an optima, thanks Zed.   I'll bring a gallon of coolant & get together some wire, tape etc for a repair kit.

Mark, I'll try and do a little spirited driving here & there ;) , tell Kathy thanks for me... and will pm you my new address.

We came down through Wyoming and Montrose, Colorado. One of the roads was in New Mexico near where the Andretti's live. Got a ticket in New Mexico on a road like this doing like 80 in 60 with no cars anywhere. What was I gonna hurt the telephone posts or the fence posts????

Went on into Texas from West to East. Super flat and nothing to see

But the same cop watches 100 people each day texting and driving.... maybe even a family member.

The law is an arse.

Finally an update..  Could not depart until Sat at 11:15am due to friend was having problems.  No wifi access until now.

Ran to Boise ID yesterday, car ran great, no excellent!  Stayed over & left this Am for Las Vegas... in Ely NV now... lunch.

Car purring like a big happy cat.  Getting about 26mpg, oil - 1/2 qt so far.  New seals must be working.

Will post some pix later, should be in LV by 7 tonight.  maybe sooner because there is a 318 test road i can take with unlumited speed limit!

We will see.... can't leave the car with the trailer too far behind!

• Like 1