IGNORED

Just ordered my BC coilovers

HaZmatt

7 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

Looks great HaZmatt! I installed Ground Control coil overs with the lowest spring rate they offered (Tokico's). The ride is great. I agree with you....a lower spring rate will definitely solve your problem....mine handle great too....so will yours with the new springs.

Thanks! Do you remember what your rates were by chance? Your Z looks perfect!

10 hours ago, dmoralesbello said:

HaZmatt, thanks for your honesty. You expose the exact reasons why I can't convince myself to change to coilovers from my Eibach lowering springs on Tokico struts. I enjoy my ride quality now so much that I'm willing to put up with 1 more inch of ride height. At least for now LOL

Z car Key Biscayne.JPG

I wouldn't change a thing on your car....it looks perfect!

• Like 1

Sorry, I can't remember. You can call Dave at Arizona Zcars to check what the softest Tokico springs he has......that's what I ordered. You don't have to have a bone jarring ride to get good handling. Also, the addition of a Futofab rear sway bar did as much for my set up as the addition of coil overs IMO. Suspension set ups are trial and error.....you're going to live with your set up for a long time.....go ahead and get some softer springs......then you can "enjoy the ride"! :D

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 10:09 PM, HaZmatt said:

I wouldn't change a thing on your car....it looks perfect!

Thanks, pal! I did add MSA front and rear sway bars and Techno Toy Tuning tension control arms. In conjunction with the Eibach springs and Tokico struts the ride is quite controlled and very comfortable. After all, it is meant strictly as a street ride.

3 minutes ago, dmoralesbello said:

Thanks, pal! I did add MSA front and rear sway bars and Techno Toy Tuning tension control arms. In conjunction with the Eibach springs and Tokico struts the ride is quite controlled and very comfortable. After all, it is meant strictly as a street ride.

I couldn't agree with you more dmoralesbello......I have Tokico/Eibachs on two of my cars.......great ride/nice handling. However, it won't lower your Z an inch (if that's important to you). For a street driven car, the Tokico/Eibach set up is definitely the cheapest way to go.......and a better than stock handling set up. My orange and gold Z have Tokico/Eibach's, and the green car is GC Coilovers......if you aren't going to track your Z, I would definitely go the T/E route.

Dampers are one of the most critical aspects of ride quality. I've had the Eibach/Tokico combo in the past and thought they rode poorly. It seemed to be due to a combination of too stiff compression damping in the Tokicos and the fact that the springs put the struts almost on the bump stops, especially up front.

I'm running Bilsteins with coilovers on 250/275 springs and they ride fantastic.

Don't forget tires.  Low profile tires can give a harsh ride.  There's a lot to be learned from how Nissan set up the stock suspension.  A small amount of spring preload so the springs and shocks don't come in to play until the tires do some work.  Tall tires to absorb the small bumps.

Lots of ways to get things slightly off.  Low profile tires, no preload, too much preload, stiff shocks, soft shocks, setting the shock height incorrectly so they bottom out (with coilovers).  You could spend some time just trying to put a good puzzle together.

Ride quality is so subjective- but I am always looking for a bit of refinement in my ride. I noticed the OP had solid mounted tension rods(basically). Don't know if that was done at the same time or not, but that transmits a LOT of roughness to the chassis . Add urethane and hard springs and wow. I run urethane with suspension technique springs and KYB Struts. I believe my spring rates are less- though my car is lower than stock considerably. 

This subject has been on my mind lately with respect of how mixing rubber bushings with a firmer suspension would work out. Could a person go fairly rigid on the suspension for handling and not defeat that with rubber bushings? Would the suspension just wear out the rubber twice as fast- or not fast enough to worry about. This is assuming NEW rubber all the way around. 

This is where I really miss the wisdom of John Coffey

When you guys say 'Tokico's' are you talking Illuminas or the basic blue shock?

I had Tokico Illuminas/Eibach combo on my last Z with a rather tall touring tire and new rubber bushings and it was pretty comfortable for the mostly highway and in town driving I do. I have heard that the Tokico blue shocks are harsher then the soft setting on the Illuminas.

2 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

When you guys say 'Tokico's' are you talking Illuminas or the basic blue shock?

I had Tokico Illuminas/Eibach combo on my last Z with a rather tall touring tire and new rubber bushings and it was pretty comfortable for the mostly highway and in town driving I do. I have heard that the Tokico blue shocks are harsher then the soft setting on the Illuminas.

In my case it's Tokico blues on all fours.

I had Blues all around as well. Agreed, ride quality is definitely subjective.

Bushings are tuned to the rest of the suspension and the desired handling performance of the car. If you stiffen the suspension and want to make the car corner better than originally designed for, the rubber bushings are no longer a match (too soft). For someone looking to cruise around, they're just fine.