IGNORED

HellFire Status & release date annouced

superlen

1. As a research tool, it's another sanity check on calibration of the AFM. My flowbench gives a number, this MAF gives a number, and the AFM gives a number. In theory, they should all agree. That's what I'm studying currently.

The results will be very interesting. People have built MAF conversion kits for other brands, like BMW, but nobody has really quantified the benefits. It seems like the MAF should have better resolution at the high flow end, allowing better fuel supply control. I get the impression that the vane-type systems just add lots of extra fuel at the high end because when the vane is pushed open large air volume changes only cause small vane movements. If you could compare that between the two, and response rate to opening the throttle, that would be very cool. Pulsing of the signal would seem likely with the vane system also, something I believe the weight and the balance chamber were intended to damp.

Nice update Len, glad to hear the progress. That's also funny you mention HEI TomoHawk. Yesterday I wired in a GM HEI with a MSD coil and now I have no spark. So that's today's project.

I did mine with a HEI module in the TIU housing and a Petronix Flame thrower II (0.6 ohm) coil. Working perfect since day one. Very happy with it. You sure you wired it correctly? If its under the hood, did you disconnect the plug at the TIU? It could be messing with the HEI module. I have a thread on the mod here. If you need more detailed photos, let me know.

Chas

• 2 months later...

we're all waiting... i believe the components and knowledge are plentiful, but with a new baby in the house the one ingredient in short supply is time...

but my z has waited over 30 yrs. for this upgrade and i'm sure it can wait patiently a little longer!

Well, my search for the one-sportscar solution to our two-sportscar household is not going well, so I imagine I will have my '78 for a while longer yet -- perhaps even long enough for Lenny's daughter to tell dad to get back to work on the Hellfire! :P