IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

Interesting.... not everyone feels the need to cover their v8 engine with bright plastic covers, though in this particular case, they did feel the need to leave the Thunderbird emblems on the tail light trim.

However, the person who re-imagined this car did place a re-manufacturing plate in place of the original door jamb data plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-DATSUN-260Z-COMPLETE-CUSTOM-SUPERCHARGED-350-V8-535-HORSEPOWER-NITROUS-/280944102398?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item416992cbfe

FWIW................ the covers on the GM LS engines are there from the get go, there is no need at all to cover.http://www.ebay.com/itm/271015858158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_7116wt_913

Edited by 72 OJ

I think most would agree that the sunroof addition is simply an abomination, but what about the hatch window treatment? At first, I thought someone had simply rigged up a venetian blind but the second photo seems to show a specially made unit.

(pics from this ebay listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-240Z-4-SPD-ORIGINAL-CALIFORNIA-OWNER-CAR-ALL-RECORDS-SINCE-NEW-FAC-AC-/180958137174?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a21f20b56

.....................Agree on the sunroof but the louvers are a very neat add on IMO, any idea if they are still available.

Re post 349: In all fairness, the v8 in the car I posted about has obviously had much work done to it. Even if it had been built with covers, I doubt they'd be usable for such a modified engine.

Re post 350: No idea if those inside mounted louvers are available at all, or if they were homemade. This is the first time I've seen such a thing. Pretty neat idea...functional, and seemingly removable.

Bolt on things like the louvers don't really count as a modification as it relates to this pole. You can un-bolt them and put them on the shelf if you so choose. A complete power train or fiberglass body kit on the other hand completely and forever turns the car into something it was never intended to be.

Some kits are better looking than others, but they all mutate, or in some cases mutilate, the S30 look.

There is a slight difference, or a line in the sand if you will, between georgious restyling, and just plain gaudy bulk when it comes to spoilers, flairs and air dams.

Hey OJ, here is a Cor-Z to go with your "Z-Vette" LOL LOL LOL.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3233974474.html

For sale to highest bidder, Saturday, September 15, 2012 at Stokes auction. Go on-line at ..www.stokesauctioninc.com for details, times.

This is a Corvette Kit Car on a 1978 Datsun 280Z. It is fun, fast and attention-getting. receipts and pictures of the build are in the car to view. It runs and handles very well. We are selling only because we have 8 cars between us and the insurance is killing us:) She sold one so I have to sell one.

It has a small hole in the whale-tail, took a branch in the windstorm. Come out to the auction and bid. You could get very lucky.

5 speed, custom wheels, B F Goodrich tires, fuel injection, many new parts. About 17,000.00 invested. It is red with black interior.

post-9102-14150820118606_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820118815_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820119059_thumb.jpg

That one may be pushing the envelope when it comes to the poll question of "What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z". Lots of work involved and I'm sure the results made someone happy and proud. Just not my cup of sake.

Dennis

Mike B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That is an insult, how can you even think that my Z can relate to this red GT ''kotex'' :laugh:,please have your eyes examined not at the discount eye care at the mall but by a real optometrist . Also get your bearings in line .:bulb: FWIW that kit car had a creator , his or her taste and heart at play, but hey to each its own. The next thread to fallow this one should be....''.what mods are in good taste and what mod are in bad taste'' that will be a circus on opinions..........:kiss:

Edited by 72 OJ