IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

I have had several discussions recently about Modified Z cars, and whether or not they are still Zs.

I know what I think, but what do you guys think?

What makes up the Zness in a Z?

What modifications don't affect its heritage??

What modifications do??

Zness in a Z.....The feline shape,timeless design ,long nose/short cabin. Mods this has been done from the get go, then 350 Chev's now LS1,LS2 and even 7 litre LS's. Mod/heritage, in an interview Mr. K clearly stated that one thing he might have changed on his creation was ''MORE POWER''. What mods do-----Personalize----;)

Edited by 72 OJ

Now, none of this is to criticize any car, or the love sweat or blood that went into making on what it is. or the money that went into buying it. This is just to get an idea of what makes a Z actually a Z to the group of people who participate in this thread. Shortly after I joined this Forum I posted a thread on what makes a Z a classic, this is to carry that same theme. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it just so happens I am actually interested in yours.

Edited by hls30.com

When does changing something make it no longer the essence of what it was? That is what I am after.

Mr. K clearly gave a generic answer, he did not say "the Z needs the heart and brain of a Corvette." Note that Mr; Ks own Z was only lightly moded, and surely he could have done anything he wanted to it at any point until he gave it to Jonnie. If he was serious about adding power why did he choose not to?

Edited by hls30.com

i like my shaved rear and my msa type 3 front. i want to stay nissan under the hood and deffintaly inline 6. i do give it to the v8 guys but IMO i think 300 hp is about all your going to use on the road.

Edited by silvey19k
more content

For me, changing the powerplant to a V-8 makes it no longer a Z. While not to my taste, RB engine upgrades are OK in my view. I do not look down on transpalnts of Z engines into other cars, as the L series drivetrain has proven to be so robust.

What I really dis-like are radical exterior modifications, that stray too far for the already sexy, feline lines of the Z. However, one exception is the Ferrari GTO body Z kit. Looks very nice, though truely, it's still no longer Z...

I recognize my views are probably old-fashioned, but then at 59, I'm no spring chicken!

Julio, I am of the same vintage,DOB 1953,,,,,,,Your silver Z in many ways mirrors mine. If we are at a Tin car gathering , both car detail to the max, both hood open, the UZZ, AHH, WOW..... goes to what car ?