IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

Cheers Ron. :)

Seems likely that the E4100 number might be the number given to the earliest full 'production' version, as opposed to prototypes and/or anything not finally settled, as this booklet was dated February 1970 and must have been in preparation during late 1969 at least.

However, I can't help thinking that some earlier versions with different mounting screw layouts might have made it onto production cars that were made in late 1969 / early 1970.....

Alan T.

The english translations were written in by the original owner in 1970. I never did the math but it seems that these were high priced items, even back in 1970. Converted to todays pricing I bet $1200.00 US for a set isn't too far off in comparison. Notice the 16000 yen "each" price that has been written in.

The Yen to US Dollar rate at that time was 360 to 1. So 16,000 Yen works out to about $44.45 which seems like a bargain even 40 years ago.

Dennis

They grew into a forest, Kats...!

OK, this subject has been bugging me more than a little - so I started to dig a bit deeper to see if I could come up with a different part number. I felt sure that somewhere I had seen an early part number reference for the covers, but I couldn't remember just where. After what seemed like an age of fruitless searching - with paperwork and reference material spread all over the floor and shelves ( what a mess ) - I sat back down again at my desk and looked straight at the front cover of the Nissan competition prep manual for the Fairlady Z 432-R. This is one of the first places I should have looked. I'd had it on the desk for the last couple of weeks, as I had needed some data for my 432-R replica project car. I couldn't see the forest for the trees....

Turn to pages 71 & 72 and there it is, a pair of new part numbers ( well, new to this thread at least I think ) and a reference to FOUR screws on each cover. The manual is dated February 1970.

So, we now have:

63900-E4100 SET HEAD LAMP COVER RH

63901-E4100 SET HEAD LAMP COVER LH

and also:

63920-E4100 PLATE NUT ( qty. 8 )

...however, there's no firm reference to the pattern / positioning of the mounting screws in this manual. You win some, you lose some.

My 'translation' is marked in red:

Alan T.

Alan I found in my little yellowbook ( same asyou have )

A period written note with 3 ?? different part nr from the headlamp covers

63901/63900-E4100

63901/63900-E4126

63901/63900-E8725

The Yen to US Dollar rate at that time was 360 to 1. So 16,000 Yen works out to about $44.45 which seems like a bargain even 40 years ago.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I was way off, but 16,000 yen was for 1 side only. Since the set price was 23,000 yen, that would have converted to just under $64. a set, keeping in mind that was the over the counter price if bought in Japan in 1970. That still seems like a bargain. Wonder what the price was in the US at the time? It is a bit difficult for me to compare buying power today, being retired almost 10 years. I am relating somewhat to my earnings in 1970, which was around $95. a week before taxes were deducted. Since they have been out of production for many years and they are such a desirable item, what someone is willing to pay has risen substantially, but there are deals to be had also, as pointed out in Mike B's recent Ebay auction link earlier in this thread.

Thanks Alan. That explains many questions I have had following this conversation. I'm satisfied with what the E4126 looks like. There is no doubt in my mind that a 'prototype' could exist. I had this sort of conversation with Matsuo san years ago. There are several other 'prototype part' examples and we find switch-ups from the earliest production cars all the time.

Hi Alan,

I would like to know

Is there any chance to reach the point,E4100 would be for the one which I currently have covers?

If the 1969 motor show Z432 will have 3 holes only and the positioning

of screws are what we are assuming ,it leads me think of the one which we are thinking "later" so far could be an inprovement parts in terms of fixing covers i .e. 4screws are better than 3.

And it is very notorious among Japanese owner that "later"

positioning screws can cause of cracking easily especially where in front of the bumper , near the grill.

We say "when you tightn that screw, you need to turn the screw

reeelly light!!"

I sold the used old "later" one, it has crackings both right and left where I am talking about.

So I tend to think like this, after motorshow designers added screws, then we have got the problem of cracking of top edge in daily usesage,finally designers changed positioning of screws as E4126.

I was thinking "it is natural"...

I think E4126 is E4126,it has that screw positioning , no doubt.And this has far better positioning of screws preventing cracking.

But if it (E4126) was released before the one which I have "later"

one, why Nissan would take a chance of the cracking problem with "later" one's screw positioning as a superceded parts.

That is why E4126 is mystery , and "later" is also mystery for me.

As a side note,I believe I saw there is another unique part relating a cover,we have a head lamp case(plastic) which already has mounting

holes on it.There must be a part number.I copied the picture

when it was on Yahoo but can not find one in my laptop.

I am wondering about it's positioning of holes.

Alan,you know about this,do not you?

I am very enjoying on this one!!

kats

Edited by kats
Sorry I was confused myself,now O.K.

Hi Guys:

Alan's Post re the E4100's rang a bell...

The first Datsun Competition Parts Catalog here in the U.S., May of 71 lists them as:

63900-E4100 $52.74 No pictures in this catalog

63901-E4100 $52.74

By 1973 the Datsun Competiton Parts Catalog list them as:

63900-E4126 No price sheet included

63901-E4126

Can't find the 72 issues...

FWIW,

Carl B.

The plot thickens! I guess I was wrong about the E4126 version being the only type sold over the counter in the US. It would be nice to find a date verified period photo, to determine the mounting hole pattern, if different from the E4126 version.

The May of '71 pricing of $52.74 for each, would have been more than a weeks pay for me at the time, for a set.

Edited by geezer

Alan I found in my little yellowbook ( same asyou have )

A period written note with 3 ?? different part nr from the headlamp covers

63901/63900-E4100

63901/63900-E4126

63901/63900-E8725

After reading everyone's comments, I have made my decision here.

I just talked to a manufacture in Japan, and I will go ahead and see what will be the cost to make reproduction ones.

Let's say 20 sets per year volume?? right?

If so, which type should I create? Later one?

What I might do in 2 different versions.

1. Later type lense and hole pattern with later lense with Chrome finish.

2. Later type lense without holes or chrome finish(bare metal so you can re-shape to fit your car better and drille holes at any places you want before chroming them yourself.(This version will be chaper, of course)

What do you all think?

:)

Edited by esprist

What do you all think?

If the price is right and the quality closer to original than what's currently available, you should have no trouble moving 20 sets.

Personally, I wouldn't care about early vs late hole configuration. However, I wouldn't want to drill & chrome a set.

Dennis

After reading everyone's comments, I have made my decision here.

I just talked to a manufacture in Japan, and I will go ahead and see what will be the cost to make reproduction ones.

Let's say 20 sets per year volume?? right?

If so, which type should I create? Later one?

What I might do in 2 different versions.

1. Later type lense and hole pattern with later lense with Chrome finish.

2. Later type lense without holes or chrome finish(bare metal so you can re-shape to fit your car better and drille holes at any places you want before chroming them yourself.(This version will be chaper, of course)

What do you all think?

I would take #1 if it is after I re-chrome the bumpers and #2 if before I re-chrome the bumpers