IGNORED

Fuel not reaching filter/fuel pump

882993md

Hi everyone:

The last time the car was started was February. I finally finished up what I needed yesterday and tried to start it unsuccessfully. 

The starter cranks, engine does not fire, there is spark to plugs, no fuel to the filter.

I pulled the hose off from the filter and I was prepared for fuel spillage but it was completely dry, 

Does the fuel pump have a hard time pulling fuel when the lines are empty?

Should I try turkey basting the lines with fuel?

Howard

1974 260z

Edited by 882993md
Spelling

Does it have the original electric and mechanical fuel pumps? My first thought is the elec. pump in front of the tank isn't working.  If the mechanical pump is there, you could pull the fuel line between the mechanical pump and the filter, put it in a container of gas and try to start it. One way or another the fuel pumps will need to be checked for pressure and volume flow. This is assuming that crud in the tank isn't blocking a line.

Wanted to update everyone. I bought a harbor freight hand pump for liquid. I thought I would use that to pull the fuel up to the fuel filter. I connected the pump to the rubber line that connects to the fuel filter and no gas. :(

So I tried pushing air into the line and my pump lines bulged from the pressure. It seems the fuel line is blocked. It can't be rust as the tank is refurbished (inside and out).

I know the gas today is not great but I can't believe it would turn so hard to clog a line in six months.

I don't have an air compressor so I'm thinking some type of wire to snake into the line?

Howard 

1974 270z

Edited by 882993md

Are you sure that you didn't get your vent and liquid lines mixed up?  I think that there's a check valve in the vent line.  There is on the 280Z's, do't know about 260Z's.

And if you have an electric pump in the back it might have a check valve also.  So blowing air back to the tank might be the wrong test.  I'd loosen the line at the tank nipple and see if any fuel leaks out.  And blow air forward.

Edited by Zed Head

On 9/22/2016 at 11:18 PM, 882993md said:

Hi everyone:

The last time the car was started was February. I finally finished up what I needed yesterday and tried to start it unsuccessfully. 

The starter cranks, engine does not fire, there is spark to plugs, no fuel to the filter.

I pulled the hose off from the filter and I was prepared for fuel spillage but it was completely dry, 

Does the fuel pump have a hard time pulling fuel when the lines are empty?

Should I try turkey basting the lines with fuel?

Howard

1974 260z

When I drained my tank a few months back and replaced rotten fuel lines, I did not have any trouble pulling fuel through it, but the line to the mechanical pump wasn't pulled. You might try priming the fuel rail and the line going up to the mechanical pump. The electric pump doesn't run unless the key is in the ON position. It doesn't get power when cranking the engine.