IGNORED

Wiper linkages stuck

Guys, can someone point me to any thread which talks about linkage repair especially how to take apart the part where the wiper arm screws in. Both of mine are stuck. There was a small lock pin round one which I was able to take off. After that nothing moves!!! do i need to hammer that thing out?

These pivots are now officially welded!!! how do u even move them. You cannot even hold them and hammer. As you can see the frustration - i have beaten them well but no success.

unnamed.jpg

Edited by MH77280Z

Do not hammer on them! They will break.

I would heat the outside of the pivot and add a lubricant like dutch suggested.

Use some soft jaws or some copper padding in a vise to hold the bottom steel part. Heat the pot metal part with a heat gun. Add lubricant. Use some pliers to try to get it to rotate free. Keep rotating until its loose. I don't know if you can use something like Evaporust? It might damage the pot metal of the pivots. Maybe you could use some Evaporust but just apply it with a dropper on the pivot. With some patience I have had good success getting the loose. But no hammers...😁

Note that one of those still has the spring clip on it which holds the arm in the pivot.  Just mentioning that, though I realize you are dealing with a seizing issue.  I'd drop them in a cup with WD40 or motor oil for a couple of days and then try again.

I suspect the problem is a rust problem. Inside the pivot there is a steel bushing. If the rubber seals go bad, water gets down in there and starts to corrode it together. When the metal rusts, it expands. A penetrant oil might help but I suspect the rust will have to be dealt with

@MH77280Z Yes, once loose i took them fully apart to restore them.  As expected they were rusted to no end.  Once they are loose there is a c clip on the top of the spindle, pry it loose and the whole thing comes apart.  At the bottom of the spindle is a pre-bent washer that acts sort of a spring don't try to flatten it its supposed to be that way to provide tension to the whole thing when put back together.  Just make sure you put things back in the right order.  Once they are apart you can blast them then remember to use some type of grease you prefer on the spindle before reassembling.  I also had to source new screws and a new gasket I made myself. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3