IGNORED

Engine rebuild smoking

emccallum

21 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Reminds me of the time that a german firm installed my front fireblade tire in the wrong direction!  (Yeah.. he said.. happens once in a 100 times..)  The Honda fireblade drives like #^$% when the tire direction is wrong on the rim!  I didn't know it made that kind of difference!  Something like that is the case with your engine.. we are people we make mistakes..  (although i didn't make any mistake this last year!... why? i didn't do anything! 😒 )

I saw that happening to a guy who visited my shop with his motorbike few years back, he was bragging about his new tires, but then I gave a look, and saw the direction was wrong lol, he was quite pissed 😉

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, emccallum said:

I wont mention where I got some stuff as they are not the most popular vendor on here! Who knows, its all speculation until we look inside. 

Can you share the name of the vendor now?  If that's where you bought the rings.  Save other CZCC members the same agony.

If they have a website, the rings are probably shown on it.

Thanks.  I got on to his website and can't find rings called out specifically.  Just a kit with ITM pistons and rings.  Anyway, no guarantee that what came in the box was what was supposed to be in them.  He has a disclaimer at the top of the listing.  "Brands vary".  

I really would send Al a message.  Even if he doesn't offer a refund at least he'll know that people are on to his game.  He'll probably stop selling that specific piece of garbage.

https://www.californiadatsun.com/engine-overhaul/engine-overhaul-rebuild-master-kit.html?highlight=WyJyaW5ncyJd

1. New ITM High Pistons with Rings (select your size) Only DISHED available until 2023.

https://www.californiadatsun.com/about-us/contact-us.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emccallum said:

He said the compression rings were already showing wear that he didnt like.

Hopefully the wear was on the rings and not the bores.  I'd guess he'll give it a hone though.  Good luck.

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Well there's your problem right there, California Datsun.

I used Hasting chrome faced rings on my 240 rebuild. Any machine shop can get those and the price was reasonable.

Naah, i used their parts to for my rebuild no problems. It's more the machine shop... I got a good one, he measured the bores first, and every piston seperate, also with my v8 , he found in both seths pistons that where off, and I had to send them back... the set for the ford v8 where very expensive pistons, and 1 one still out of round... out of the box. A good shop is everything...

4 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Naah, i used their parts to for my rebuild no problems.

I don't think that you're seeing what his web page is saying.  "Brands vary".  It's a crap shoot.  You got lucky.  Many people don't.

Al has a long history of poor quality, since his business was called Datsun Parts LLC.  He is a member of the site.  Screen name URGELIS.  

Datsun Nissan Z 240Z 260Z 280Z 280 ZX Engine (Motor) Master Rebuilding Kit.

Includes:
  1. Brands Vary- AC, ACL, Safety, Gates, Acer, Topline, ITM, Felpro

Edited by Zed Head