IGNORED

Building Up HLS30-59920

CW240Z72

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Vintage Air Gen II Mini and made some progress on the wiring. For anyone who’s installed these, the harness that comes with the unit is long and bulky. Ended up pulling most of it off and tailoring it better for the Z. 

746B17EB-DF94-4F5A-AD71-7C7D0F6D466F.jpeg

20AC9C6D-A6CD-4F15-B294-547F5DACF366.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 6:02 AM, 87mj said:

I see that you installed sound deadener.  What kind did you use?

Those came from a kit I bought from a guy off of Facebook who was replicating the factory pieces. I don't know if he is still doing that or not, but someone off this site has uploaded a PDF of the panels you can print out and make your own pieces. 

I went that route for the last Z and used these 3M pads for the material. Was happy with the final results 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068137/

36 minutes ago, CW240Z72 said:

Those came from a kit I bought from a guy off of Facebook who was replicating the factory pieces. I don't know if he is still doing that or not, but someone off this site has uploaded a PDF of the panels you can print out and make your own pieces. 

I went that route for the last Z and used these 3M pads for the material. Was happy with the final results 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068137/

That someone was me. 🙂 The templates were taken from my 7/70 car, there are some differences for later cars, mainly with the rear deck template.

49 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

That someone was me. 🙂 The templates were taken from my 7/70 car, there are some differences for later cars, mainly with the rear deck template.

Absolute lifesaver. These were a perfect match when doing my series 1. A personal thank you for your efforts! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CW240Z72 said:

Absolute lifesaver. These were a perfect match when doing my series 1. A personal thank you for your efforts! 

That's very good to hear and you're welcome. Gives me more confidence to use them on my own resto.

I will be checking into the 3M product you used, thanks for the link. Was it very difficult to cut?

5 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

That's very good to hear and you're welcome. Gives me more confidence to use them on my own resto.

I will be checking into the 3M product you used, thanks for the link. Was it very difficult to cut?

Wasnt bad at all to work with. A good box knife will make quick work of trimming these to shape. Only con to the material is the diamond texture it has on the top. Not 100% accurate, but the thickness/function/ability to paint was good with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 4:00 AM, CW240Z72 said:

Pacing myself and double checking measurements, the drivers floor board was a straightforward job. First removing the frame rail and then drilling out the seat bracket spot welds. This allowed me to use them as temporary locating features for placing the new floor. 

E787F590-157A-4324-AFB1-87BE52EE1DE8.jpeg

Once the panel fit the body correctly, we then removed the seat reinforcement brackets and staged the floor for welding

FC351E88-309A-4E45-9992-24074A7F6F63.jpeg

didn’t grab a picture of the drivers side, but the factory frame rail was first welded down before installing the Bad Dog reinforcement rails. In theory you could install only the Bad Dog rails, but I couldn’t get a good fit and finish with them alone. 
B6BE0C77-75C5-4AF8-BB90-ED1F91F9C0EB.jpeg

1E94F362-7343-43B3-8A9B-AED4AED88D25.jpeg

Looks like the typical wrong jacking up of the car.

The floors don't look bad at all from the pictures, why did you replace them , or was their hidden rott we can't see in the pictures? 

• Like 1

Don't forget to look at the inside of the outer beams (between the wheels..) that should be the place to lift your car.. not the inner beams! (use a endoscope, sometimes the lower part of the inner plate in the beam is completely gone, and it makes the changing a wheel with a normal jack a desaster.)

Take a look in the servicemanuals..

It's gonna be a nice car!!