IGNORED

Rear Brakes Locked Up

the_tool_man

Hi all:

I made the mistake of leaving my '77 parked with the parking brake for a few months.  When I released the handle, I found that the shoes were stuck.  I had planned to free them by driving the car once I got it running.  But I need to get them freed up before that now.  I tried disconnecting the cables, which did nothing.  I don't see any access to the interior to adjust or move anything.  What have you tried that works?  I did pick up a spare pair of aluminum drums.  So if I have to cut them off, I will.  But I'm hoping for a trick that gets them freed nondestructively.  Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, the_tool_man said:

I don't see any access to the interior to adjust or move anything.

There should be a hole (on the flat front of drum) that is (possibly) closed with a sort of lead.. through that you can alter the brake.. see service manual.. but i would hit the front from the drum with a hammer.. just light hits all over them.. maybe some heat helps too?

That hole in the drums lets you turn the adjustment wheel on a 240. Not 100% sure if the 280s have that adjustment? but if you can't get the hole lined up to the toothed wheel then it's no good. Hit the drums with a rubber hammer or small sledge if you have replacements. My country arse would try dragging it with my lawnmower to unstick them, been there done that. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/21/2023 at 1:01 PM, siteunseen said:

That hole in the drums lets you turn the adjustment wheel on a 240. Not 100% sure if the 280s have that adjustment? but if you can't get the hole lined up to the toothed wheel then it's no good. Hit the drums with a rubber hammer or small sledge if you have replacements. My country arse would try dragging it with my lawnmower to unstick them, been there done that. LOL

When I first noticed them stuck, they were only dragging.  It was possible for two people to push the car.  I disconnected the cables and with the help of a friend, pushed the car back and forth to try and free them.  No joy.  Unfortunately in the intervening time since then, they have become too stuck to push.  I hired a tow truck to move the car to my new house, and he had to literally drag it out with a winch.  No lawnmower I have access to is going to free them up!  I'm in the process of moving, and may not get to it for a week or two.  But I'll have another look at the drums to see if I can execute the process in the FSM.  The key will be seeing if I can apply enough torque to rotate the drums into position.

BTW, this seems like a good time to give a shout out to @Patcon, who came to my new house that cold, dark night to help me push the car into my garage.  Not only were the rear wheels locked, but we couldn't get the ignition key to free the column lock (this car hates me).  He was able to remove the column lock through an elaborate, technical process I've been sworn to keep secret under penalty of death.  Even so, it took wheel dollies, a jack, and a tow strap using both our trucks.  But we got it in!  Thanks man!

Edited by the_tool_man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 3:54 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

It says: "Remove brake drum adjust hole plug" What beautiful english... 🤬

I would say: Remove plug out of brake drum adjust hole..  😮

( Because i would name the thing that's meant, first..  You guys.. tell me what is the better english? )

Its called Jinglish.

• Haha 2