IGNORED

Let’s talk about gasoline

Av8ferg

Sorry, but I tested the fuel from my local phillips 66 and the mid grade gas I use indeed contains no ethanol.  If it was magically mixing it at the pump, I think I would see a measurable amount of ethanol.   The refineries produce gasoline in both ethanol and non ethanol blends, it is the decision of the retailer as to which blend they purchase for their pumps.   Lucky for me, only the regular grade has ethanol. 

Here is my favorite guy on Youtube showing how you can test the ethanol content yourself.   

• Like 4

Sorry, but I tested the fuel from my local phillips 66 and the mid grade gas I use indeed contains no ethanol.  If it was magically mixing it at the pump, I think I would see a measurable amount of ethanol.   The refineries produce gasoline in both ethanol and non ethanol blends, it is the decision of the retailer as to which blend they purchase for their pumps.   Lucky for me, only the regular grade has ethanol. 
Here is my favorite guy on Youtube showing how you can test the ethanol content yourself.   

Good post Jim. I’ve watched that guy before, he makes some interesting videos.
I’m lucky too. Lots of non-ethanol options where I live from 89-93 octane. When I store gas for hurricane season I always store the non-ethanol fuel. I store about 20 gals (use stabilizer) and then burn it in my truck when the season ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, S30Driver said:

I guess this shows why you should use ethanol free gas when using a Gunson Colortune device.  I bought one and used a few times on my Z, with vague results.  Somewhat a pain to get ethanol free gas in California.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area and left after my first year in college. It became financially untenable to live there anymore. Arguably the most beautiful state in the country in my opinion but that weather and landscape comes at a considerable cost to personal prosperity. I used to buy regular gas at Arcp in San Mateo for .98 a gallon in 1987 for my 1966 VW. Now it’s upwards of $6 there. We are paying about $3.67 in NC. Non-Ethanol 93 octane gas is about $4.29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Not just gasoline for cars cars contains farm harvested content, but also jet fuel.  A story on the news yesterday showed how plant based cooking oil from airport restaurant deep fryers is being converted to jet fuel.  

• Like 1

A gallon of Ethanol contains ~ 75,000 btu’s and Gasoline ~126,000 btu’s.  Gasoline has about an 81% production efficiently (energy expenditure to make vs how much it produces). Corn Ethanol has an 51% efficiency.  It take 35,000 btu’s to make one gallon of Ethanol.  These are the gov’t stats.  I paid $4.99 a gal for non-ethanol 93 octane gas for the Z.  They’re predicting gas to climb higher this summer.  

• Sad 2