IGNORED

The Early 77 rear hatch differences

Av8ferg

I have an early 77, production date is 11/76.

Mine has the weird slopped rear hatch area, which I don’t like. I’m assuming this changes corresponded with the fuel tank and spare tire changes they made in 77. Nissan abandoned this slopped deck in late 77 probably because they thought it sucked too.

I’d like to change mine to the flat deck but wasn’t sure how difficult that is. Does someone have a pic of the deck area on a later 77 or 78?

Also my car doesn’t have the compartment doors on the little storage areas behind the seats in the rear deck. Did they stop putting those in after 76 and if so will the early 280z doors fit . Mine has the mounting holes just no doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff, I get your position but I’m not driving it yet because I’ve still got work to do.  Welding the floor patches, rear suspension and my latest problem.   I decided to put 5 gallon of fresh gas in the tank yesterday and woke up this AM and the garage was full of gas fumes.  So bad you could smell it in the master bath above the garage.   The tank is leaking where the two metal hoses exit the tank, one goes to the pump and the other is the return line.   I thought stopped it with JB weld but that didn’t hold.   I also had rust particles in my pre-filter.  Bottom line the tank needs to come out and  be replaced or repaired,  I had this tank boiled and sealed two years ago but  it appears to not be working as advertised.  
I’d prefer the the flat deck for for a few reasons.  You get more space, there is better options to mount speakers back there if I do that.  You can get a nice mat back there.  Haven’t seen any that fit the slopped deck and I think it’s a cleaner look.  But you might be correct and the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.  Also if it’s a lot of work requiring metal cutting then you are probably correct.  

F33F33AF-495B-449A-BA46-3740E495C877.jpeg

• Sad 1

The flat rear deck is no treat either.

I have a bunch of pics of the rear hatch area that I'll dig up when I get a chance. I made a bunch of changes to mine to gain more space. I also added cargo hatch doors. I think I posted details of that stuff on here some time ago and I'll see if I can dig that up too.

So do you have a full sized spare, or the space-saver and the bottle?  I can't remember.

You may get a badge, "Top Tank Dropper"?

I can drop a tank in less than 20 mins. 1) 4 x 10mm bolts around gas cap
2) 2 x 14mm bolts (deep socket req’d) on tank straps
3) 1x Phillips head screw on large hose clamp for main hose from filler tube
4x 10 mm hose clamps to remove feed and return lines.
She’s now on the ground
Then a Beer....

He are pics of my hatch area I just took.

Will 280z doors from earlier years fit here?

I don’t have a spare tire but someone who had a 78 gave me one and it’s diameter is much less than my spot for a spare . I think the inflatables only came on 78?

af8f3553089cc4e561245adbd3a11ce7.jpg
108a5dcd69b7af93c374630c7a71855f.jpg

I found some that match my paint for $59

http://www.2040-parts.com/70-78-datsun-240z-260z-280z-interior-trim-jack-and-tool-stowage-storage-doors-i310729/

Edited by Av8ferg

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Cliff, I get your position but I’m not driving it yet because I’ve still got work to do.  Welding the floor patches, rear suspension and my latest problem.   I decided to put 5 gallon of fresh gas in the tank yesterday and woke up this AM and the garage was full of gas fumes.  So bad you could smell it in the master bath above the garage.   The tank is leaking where the two metal hoses exit the tank, one goes to the pump and the other is the return line.   I thought stopped it with JB weld but that didn’t hold.   I also had rust particles in my pre-filter.  Bottom line the tank needs to come out and  be replaced or repaired,  I had this tank boiled and sealed two years ago but  it appears to not be working as advertised.  
I’d prefer the the flat deck for for a few reasons.  You get more space, there is better options to mount speakers back there if I do that.  You can get a nice mat back there.  Haven’t seen any that fit the slopped deck and I think it’s a cleaner look.  But you might be correct and the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.  Also if it’s a lot of work requiring metal cutting then you are probably correct.  

F33F33AF-495B-449A-BA46-3740E495C877.jpeg

It ain't cheap, but it is available now: https://s30.world/product/01-77-till-12-78-datsun-280z-fairlady-z-fuel-tank-vapor

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

Mine is on the way. Should be here next week. I’ll post pics when it arrives. I’m just happy to find one. Went through the tank at a radiator shop, redcoat etc. still had pin holes seeping.  Good riddance!!

Looking forward to seeing your tank.  I head to work for 11 days on Monday and my wife is off work this week which = no Z therapy this week, more like dusting and decorating for me.  
I feel like every corner I make on this car there are three more fallen trees in the road I need to get around.  I thought my tank issues were in my rear view mirror.   While that tank is a bIt expenses you won’t ever mess with it again or be suck on the side of the road with rust backed up in your.   If I drop my tank now I run the risk of fuel leaking in my garage from lines while I’m flying Christmas gifts around.  My wife would be pissed so, I’ve drained the tanks and leaving it alone.  Once I get the tank out I can make a better assessment but will probably end up buying the same tank you got.