IGNORED

New member needing some opinions

Dadson

Hello, I’m new here and have been looking at a lot of different Z communities to figure out where I belong. I joined here mainly because of the way I’ve seen questions answered by experienced members to the non-experienced (like myself). Helpful and not condescending like I saw on another forum. A little background on me: My son has always loved classics and I took him to a classic car show earlier this year. He was hooked and wanted to do a project. So the username “Dadson”. Thought that was a fun descriptive play on Datsun. We looked at a lot of American muscle but I kept gravitating back to the early z cars. Fast forward 9 months and here we are. We bought a 72 240z out of Az and had it shipped to Tx. It was built 9/71 and is matching numbers. Some rust in usual places but is mostly original. I’m a woodworker and fixer of everything but I’m not a mechanic. So, I’m going to need some advice and “how to” on things I can’t figure out. A couple of questions to get started:

1. My interior is red and the seats are like a velour type fabric. I haven’t seen any pictures of fabric seats on other z’s. Was wondering if this was a certain package that was offered.

2. My shift knob isn’t wood like most. It is definitely old so, was wondering if it could be part of a different package. It looks like it is made from the same material as a pool ball. It isn’t a ball, it is shaped like a wooden one but clearly a different material.

3. Restomod - I am going to have to do at least 1 mod and that is an AC. From a value perspective, how concerned should I be by making some mods like AC etc. I think I really want to keep it as close to original as possible but I have to have AC in Tx.

Trey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have more pictures of the body? There looks like there is overspray on the door latch, was the car repainted? vertical defrosters? or is that something in the background?

Woodworker eh? Add a custom shifter to your list of projects.

IIRC AC in an early Z car was a dealer add-on, but you might be able to find bits and pieces of one from a 72-73 and make it work. 74+ cars have a different HVAC system. Some people (including me) went down the route of `Vintage Air` systems, essentially it replaces the whole HVAC system under the dash with a new unit. On a 240z its easier to take apart the switches that come wiht the vintage air unit and retrofit them into the HVAC panel for an OEM look, @qz16 has the cleanest vintage air control panel setup I've seen. But you're venturing into modification territory there.....

• Like 2

If you add a "factory" style AC unit, no one will know if you dont tell them, because there are no existing build sheets. AC in the early cars was a dealer add on, as mentioned but they all are the same unit. The only problem is they might not cool well enough for you on TX. Somebody else might be able to chime in on that.

One of my earlier cars had seats like that, I don't know if that was a dealer ad on or not.

Since there are no build sheets, you have some freedom with the car as long as you stay in factory style things.

I never worry too much about modification as long as they are easily reversible

Welcome to the group and I readily agree with your comments about the quality of feedback and support from this bunch as compared to some others. Simply put - you won't find a more helpful group of enthusiasts on the interweb! We do enjoy our friendly banter and sometimes wierd humor but you won't find flames and ridicule here.

Here is a current restoration thread on the forum that has some super good A/C aspects. I know the poster personally and can assure you he will answer any questions about his installation: https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/64674-restoration-of-hls30-12070/

I have a build sheet from my resto project 10 years ago that might be of help in identifying parts that could be candidates for repair or replacement.

We are all voyeurs at heart and love lots of pics so we'll all be looking forward to your progress reports.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Welcome to the group!

As mentioned, seats appear to be recovered.  There are sources for reasonably priced original style vinyl replacement upholstery which is a good DIY project.  Shift knob should be wood - reproductions are available if it's important to you.  There are a few AC options and as mentioned, AC on early cars was a dealer installed or aftermarket option.  If you want to go "old school" with the AC you'll need a clunky York compressor unit - I did this in 1972.  Current kits use a smaller and more efficient rotary unit - I replaced my York system with a rotary in 2007. I live where daily summer temperatures range from 110º to 125º and it cools the Z adequately.  A louver unit on the hatch glass is nice for blocking the sun and keeping interior cooler.

Keep. us posted on the progress.

I have read somewhere in AZ cloth seats were a desirable addition done by dealers or aftermarket because the vinyl gets super hot in the sun.  As someone one that lives here I can agree it can get to burning you levels really quick when you sit down  

Welcome, Dadson! Funny, I saw your username last night and thought, "Huh, that's nice - how have I never noticed it before?" Turns out you're brand new! As someone relatively new to all this (z's and wrenching in general) when compared to most other members, I can solidly attest to both the knowledge and hospitality of the people on this forum. Have fun!

Wow, Thank you all for the replies. Yes, the car was repainted (terribly) at some point. Not a big deal to me because I knew whatever we bought was probably getting a paint job. I was hoping the seats were original and something rare. Interesting about a possible dealer add in AZ. Would like to explore that. The fabric is in excellent condition and comfortable. But, it has a lot of sun fading. Was thinking about getting it re-dyed. I will probably turn a new shift knob on my lathe and see what I end up with. Does anyone know what species of wood was original? Great information on the ac and mods. Maybe I shouldn’t worry too much as long as I stay close but make it reversible…. Yes, I have the vertical defrost on the hatch. I heard that is harder to find. Other ‘72’s I’ve seen were horizontal. Maybe since mine was built 9/71 they hadn’t switched yet. Every piece of glass is original and chip/crack free. Yesterday was its last day on the road until we are finished with the project. Had to get it inspected so I could do the title work. We sandford and son’ed it up to the station and passed! LOL.
So now the real work begins. Since it is going to get a total paint job back to its original, my understanding is everything comes off and is just a roller when I bring it to a shop. I feel good about most of it but I’m pretty Intimidated about the dash and wiring. Is Removing everything for body and paint where I should start? Here’s a few pictures.

‘72 240z Kilimanjaro white vin 473XX

IMG_1370.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1311.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1308.jpg
  • Like 1

Welcome and nice car, Dadson.  I also have a 9/71 build date car, HLS30-46372 (original owner), and it, too, has the vertical defroster grid found on the '71 models.  I though that mine was a rare bird in that Nissan was likely using up a few old parts in the early '72 models.  But your VIN looks to be about 1,000 units after mine so it seems there were more than just a few leftovers.

My car came off a rotisserie earlier this year and is now undergoing restomod to become a 5-speed, triple Weber 45 carbs, 3.2 L stroker, 3.90 R200 diff beast (with Vintage Air A/C) and I'm hoping to get it back on the street this coming spring - depending on how cold the Ohio winter is going to be (unheated outbuilding).

First bit of advice: take a LOT of pix before you begin removing bits and label, label, label.

• Like 1

Hot dang - that is one fine looking car! The quick and simple answer to your paint prep questions is YES - everything comes off for a good paint job. Bag and tag everything immediately as you remove it, don't rely on your memory. Become the zip bag king of your neighborhood! 😉 Throw nothing away until the replacement is installed. String tags are messy but effective at tagging both ends of electrical connections before they are pulled apart. Get some plastic tubs for your take-off parts and try to keep items closely associated in storage. Build a running "needs list" as you remove items that will need replacing. You can be acquiring the replacement items while the car is off at the paint shop. +1 on the lots of pics recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1