IGNORED

Best Penetrating Oil?

psdenno

On 7/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, psdenno said:

I removed the rear bumper from my 240Z to replace the rubber trim pieces on the bumper ends and over riders.  The 50 years of rust seem to have bonded the over rider attachment nuts to the studs.  I've soaked them with multiple applications of PB Blaster for a few days, and they're still rusted on tight.  

Any suggestions for a better brand of penetrating oil?  I did the front bumper rubber a couple months ago and all went much easier.

As mentioned, there are myriad brands of penetrating concoctions. I’ve had good results from PB Blaster, Kroil, Gibbs, and Mopar heat stove lube (for freeing up rusty heat stoves on carburetor choke assemblies).

Heat will go a long ways towards freeing up rusty fasteners.

I have also found that a sharp rap in just the right spot with a drift and hammer will break the bond at the threads.

Good luck and I hope you win.

@psdenno   Kroil by KanoLabs   It actually is a class above everything else I’ve used in 60 years. For the average car guy one 10 oz spray can will last several years. Granted it is a little pricey - but well worth spending the extra few dollars.

I always used to order it direct from Kano Lab’s - but now I see they are working though sales outlets and distributors (and it has gotten more expensive as well)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Carl Beck said:
@psdenno   Kroil by KanoLabs   It actually is a class above everything else I’ve used in 60 years. For the average car guy one 10 oz spray can will last several years. Granted it is a little pricey - but well worth spending the extra few dollars.

I always used to order it direct from Kano Lab’s - but now I see they are working though sales outlets and distributors (and it has gotten more expensive as well)

Thanks for the tip!

I might be wrong, but I’ve come to think that some types of rubber do not like what is in PB Blaster. I think it makes it swell, just a thought. I now just try to avoid getting it on rubber and plastic or wipe it off if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a week and a half of applying three different brands of penetrating oil and repeated attempts of using a torch to heat and expand the nut on the bumper over rider, the 50 year old bumper wins.  This morning, I put it in the truck, drove to a machine shop, dropped it off and will see what their magic can do.

Thanks for all the suggestions along the way.

31 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Just curious did you try the Kroil?

No, in spite of the solid recommendations.  Not available locally and only to Business Members through Amazon.  So, I used what I could get and didn't accomplish the task.  The machine shop I dropped it off at today has a "home brew" penetrant.  The other alternative was to just cut the over rider mounting stud off below the nut after raising the nut as far as it would go.  I prefer to keep the original over rider if possible. New rubber trim is on hand and ready to install.  Front bumper and over riders were much easier. 

17 minutes ago, psdenno said:

No, in spite of the solid recommendations.  Not available locally and only to Business Members through Amazon.  So, I used what I could get and didn't accomplish the task.  The machine shop I dropped it off at today has a "home brew" penetrant.  The other alternative was to just cut the over rider mounting stud off below the nut after raising the nut as far as it would go.  I prefer to keep the original over rider if possible. New rubber trim is on hand and ready to install.  Front bumper and over riders were much easier. 

I wonder if that's a California thing with Kroil. I ordered it from Amazon in the past without being a "Business Member", and I had no problem with putting it in my cart today. Do you have any friends in Arizona who could order it for you and smuggle it across the border in case you need it in the future? 😉 

2 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Do you have any friends in Arizona who could order it for you and smuggle it across the border in case you need it in the future? 😉 

Good suggestion, but prefer NOT to do 5-10 years in the Greybar Hotel for smuggling petro chemicals into the Great State of California.😎