IGNORED

Documenting My Original Yazaki Spark Plug Leads

CanTechZ

Even though Yazaki is printed on the ignition wires/plug leads it seems there were a number of companies producing them back in the 1970s. Most of them used the same rubber boot on the plug end but the distributor end had a unique rubber boot, that's the one I'm after. Here's a picture from @CanTechZ It seems Yazaki and OYS used this boot, so the hunt is on for an original. Once I find that it's full speed ahead making up a set to test.

Plug lead 3.jpg

Plug lead 2.jpg

• 2 months later...

On 6/25/2022 at 7:12 AM, SpeedRoo said:

I'll only reproduce the plug wires if they are exactly right, no half measures. Without a sample of an original it's almost impossible to match. Come on someone must have an original plug wire they can loan or sell to me so I can get this to happen.

Just checking in to see if you have made any progress on this?

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Just an update on the reproduction Yazaki plug leads, Thanks to Mike @zspert and @CanTechZexcellent drawings, along with a set of NOS 1971 Yazaki coil leads from Kuwait of all places,  I have finished up the CAD drawings and produced some rubber pieces for testing of fit and function. In the meantime I'm sourcing the correct 7mm carbon core leads. I'll be trialing a set on my 1970 240Z this week before I screen print the original markings onto the leads in yellow as originally done.

The plan is to offer a limited run of 1969 and 1970 sets initially, both those years used the same rubber connector boots and yellow markings. Once I've sourced one of the angled boots for #6 lead on the 1971, 1972 and 1973 240Z I'll offer those as well which have the white markings.

Apologies for taking so long to get this sorted but sourcing original parts to replicate was the main stumbling block. Initial cost estimate is around USD$250 for a set of reproduction leads. They will be made here in the USA not outsourced to China!

Interested owners so far include @hiyabrad @Zup @VaCat33 @26th-Z @240dkw @inline6 

Feel free to add any comments.

I'd like one set for '69 and one set for '70.

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2023 at 11:08 AM, SpeedRoo said:

Just an update on the reproduction Yazaki plug leads, Thanks to Mike @zspert and @CanTechZexcellent drawings, along with a set of NOS 1971 Yazaki coil leads from Kuwait of all places,  I have finished up the CAD drawings and produced some rubber pieces for testing of fit and function. In the meantime I'm sourcing the correct 7mm carbon core leads. I'll be trialing a set on my 1970 240Z this week before I screen print the original markings onto the leads in yellow as originally done.

The plan is to offer a limited run of 1969 and 1970 sets initially, both those years used the same rubber connector boots and yellow markings. Once I've sourced one of the angled boots for #6 lead on the 1971, 1972 and 1973 240Z I'll offer those as well which have the white markings.

Apologies for taking so long to get this sorted but sourcing original parts to replicate was the main stumbling block. Initial cost estimate is around USD$250 for a set of reproduction leads. They will be made here in the USA not outsourced to China!

Interested owners so far include @hiyabrad @Zup @VaCat33 @26th-Z @240dkw @inline6 

Feel free to add any comments.

@SpeedRoo, please put me on the list for a set for my 1/1971 when you do 1971 sets!

2 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

@SpeedRoo, please put me on the list for a set for my 1/1971 when you do 1971 sets!

@AZ-240z with your car being a 1/71, I would think that it would have come the the early spark plug leads, assuming the TSB is correct. The newer type that had white text and the angled boot on the number 6 started at engine number L24-031643 which according to @Carl Beck's register would not have been until 3/1971. It also makes we wonder when Nissan would have started to install leads with the 1971 date. Is you car an early 1/71 car? Would they have used up the 1970 leads before changing over to 1971?

image.png

Interestingly the TSB has an error with the "New" vs "Former" labels.

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

@AZ-240z with your car being a 1/71, I would think that it would have come the the early spark plug leads, assuming the TSB is correct. The newer type that had white text and the angled boot on the number 6 started at engine number L24-031643 which according to @Carl Beck's register would not have been until 3/1971. It also makes we wonder when Nissan would have started to install leads with the 1971 date. Is you car an early 1/71 car? Would they have used up the 1970 leads before changing over to 1971?

image.png

Interestingly the TSB has an error with the "New" vs "Former" labels.

@CanTechZ, you are absolutely correct.  My engine is L24-027116, so the early 1970 cables would most probably

have been delivered with my car.  I’ll correct my request with SpeedRoo, and thanks!

Dan

4 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

Correction, please put me on the list for a set of the early 1970 cables.  @CanTechZ just made 

me aware, because I wasn’t paying attention, that my series 1 L24-027119 1/71 car would

probably been delivered with the early 1970 cable set.  Thanks.

Dan