IGNORED

Documenting My Original Yazaki Spark Plug Leads

CanTechZ

I am lucky to have the original date coded Yazaki plug and coil leads on my 1970 240Z. So I've started this topic to discuss the details of these on S30 cars, I don't want to limit this to only early cars, as I'm interested in hearing about their evolution over the years.

Edit, 6AUG2021,  Replaced image and pdf drawing to reflect correct part numbers

I have taken detailed measurements to create 3D cad models and a drawing complete with markings. To start here are a few pictures of mine, they are not pristine but the date code and markings can be seen.

IMG_4717s.JPG

IMG_4720s.JPG

IMG_4723s.JPG

Here are a few images of the 3D cad model, created with Solid Edge version 2020:

22450-E4125 SET - CABLE HIGH TENSION - IMG 01(A).JPG

The descriptions and part numbers are from the 1973 JDM S30 Nissan parts microfiche. Interestingly the lengths quoted in the parts book are close but not exactly the same as my examples.

22450-E4126 SET - CABLE HIGH TENSION - IMG 02.JPG

22450-E4126 SET - CABLE HIGH TENSION - IMG 03.JPG

The small triangle ahead of Yazaki, is actually their corporate symbol, I did my best to represent it as close to the original as I could. The text font I used was the closet I could find on my cad program, again close but not exact.

https://www.yazaki-group.com/75th_en/history/mark/

22450-E4126 SET - CABLE HIGH TENSION - IMG 04.JPG

I'm also attaching a drawing of these in pdf format. @Mike, I hope you don't mind that I poached the club logo and used it. LOL Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Here's a preview of sheet 1 of the drawing:

image.png

22450-E4125(A) Yazaki Ignition Lead Set 1970 240Z.pdf

Edited by CanTechZ
Added preview of the pdf drawing
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, hiyabrad said:

This is terrific. Thank you for doing this.

Do you have the original coil for the car?

Thanks, and yes I do. It's currently buried with other parts but here is a picture before I removed it.

image.png

14 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

Thanks, and yes I do. It's currently buried with other parts but here is a picture before I removed it.

image.png

I'd really like to get a high quality photo or scan of the printing on the coil as I am looking to reproduce the coil with correct printing. The coil wraps I have seen do not use the correct font, symbols, etc.

1 hour ago, hiyabrad said:

I'd really like to get a high quality photo or scan of the printing on the coil as I am looking to reproduce the coil with correct printing. The coil wraps I have seen do not use the correct font, symbols, etc.

Pulled mine out and tired to get a good picture, but the condition is not so good. Here is the best I could do,

20210524_144023_HDR.jpg

image.png

There is 1971 240Z survivor currently on BAT that has original leads.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-128-2/

Looks like in 1971 the color of the markings was changed to white and the resistor symbol markings changed. Also on the #6 lead the plug boot was changed to angled. Here are a few zoomed cropped images.

BAT Capture 04.JPG

BAT Capture 05.JPG

BAT Capture 06.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

While looking for something unrelated I found this Nissan Technical Service Bulletin that describes when and why the markings were changed on the plug and coil leads.

Edit, Aug 6.  I just noticed that "New" and "Former" are indicated wrong in the TSB. Yellow should be former and white should be new. In checking the register on @Carl Beck's site Zhome the engine number listed for the start of this change would have been in 3/71. The publish date of this TSB is December 1971 so it looks like 1972 models would have the white labeled Yazaki leads.

TS71-60.JPG

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...