IGNORED

240z running rough

rosaaen89

The first stuff you drained looked red not orange like rust. I think your acetone stripped alot more out (the black bucket) I believe someone sealed but didn't get it all the way cured. It needs to be really cured before you add gasoline ( a strong solvent) back into the equation. I used a tank sealer from Caswell that I like a lot. It's a two part epoxy and very tough

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rosaaen89 said:

i didn’t really plan on coating it since previous owner did and i feel that’s part of the issue with the tank. when i pulled it out noticed it was all sticky before i even did the acetone . he probably didn’t do it correctly like you said before. i just don’t wanna do all the work and have the same outcome

If you do it right it will be okay. It has to fully cure and have a good clean surface to stick to.

I'm hoping the Tech Tip guy will let you know about his tank with just an acid wash. He works a lot and then is off for a week or two and is very active on here when he can.

If you don't want to coat it call a radiator shop and see if they can vat it to clean it. Ask them what they do with fuel tanks. Good luck whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

If you do it right it will be okay. It has to fully cure and have a good clean surface to stick to.

I'm hoping the Tech Tip guy will let you know about his tank with just an acid wash. He works a lot and then is off for a week or two and is very active on here when he can.

If you don't want to coat it call a radiator shop and see if they can vat it to clean it. Ask them what they do with fuel tanks. Good luck whatever you decide.

there’s no local radiator shop here closest ones are 2-3 hours away since i’m in the middle of nowhere in new mexico. i think i’m gonna order red kote and do a muriatic acid on it tomorrow or the next day and let it sit for a few days or so. im just hoping if i do the acid wash it gets rid of the current coating as well but idk if it will make it even worse 

Leave the acid in for a bit longer since it has the coating. Once you neutralize with soda look in the big hole, take photos and post them here. If you don't think it's clean enough then do a second acid wash and soda neutralize.

It should look solid silver when it's really clean.

You can't let it sit for a few days or you've wasted your time and money. Let it sit until you cannot smell any type of chemically smell. Putting it outside in the sun will speed the curing process and make sure all the holes are open so you'll have plenty of air flow.

Main tip from me, slowly rotate the tank. With the acid. With the soda. With the coating. You want 100% coverage, top bottom and the sides.

The water rinsing removes/dilutes the acid.  Using baking soda is a belts and braces if you just use muriatic.

If I were to do it now, I would do:

1. Chain/ vibration to remove surface rust

2. Muriatic Soak

3. Rinse with water

3. Phosphoric

4. Rinse

5. Hot air dry

6. Sealer

Edited by 240260280
  • Thanks 1