IGNORED

240ZBUILTBYME 1971 240z HS-001063 Project Sheena

240ZBUILTBYME

36 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Take a look at OER carburetors out of Japan. My understanding from Datsun Spirit is they are a hybrid mix design of Mikuni & Webber carburetors. Eiji swears by them. They come in a complete kit as well. Just another avenue to investigate.

Do you know which units he runs? there seems to be oer weber type which uses weber components and an oer type that uses oer components 

8 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Do you know which units he runs? there seems to be oer weber type which uses weber components and an oer type that uses oer components 

They were older carbs, some of the first produced, I had 40mm chokes as that's what worked out as the best all around for performance and driveability.  It's been a few years now since I played with them so I'm a little foggy but I believe they will take weber jets. Much easier to adjust float levels and change jets as everything is accessible from the top of the carb, you don't have to take the take the lid off like webers.

They are a superior design and if your mechanic can tune webers he won't have a problem with OER's, it is the same basic design. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Racer X said:

I like the SU carbs because adjusting of jetting is a simple matter, just adjust the nozzles up or down, no pesky jet changing. 

Webers and carbs alike are often a problem .. just my experience.. I like the HJG46W a lot! Have my 240z now for 25 years and drove not a lot but i only readjusted them once!  (They are more or less without a problem! )

And another thing.. wait with buying a lot of stuff you don't need at the moment ( no don't ask haha how i know..)  Yes it's nice to buy yourself a lot of sparkling new stuff but first GET THAT CHASSIS/BODY READY FIRST!  😮

You also must have won the lottery as you want a 3,1 L engine build? those are not cheap! And carbs like webers dito. the hitachi's are original and without problems and not expensive.. think twice.. 🙊

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 2

Something else i wanted to say about the 46's .. they are really lazy and easy to drive on the road for normal conditions. i see that lots of people have trouble with those big webers .. when i start my 240z it stays running ALWAYS!!  It has very very few times died on me.. only times was because i didn't give it enough choke..  I see webers start with a lot of hesatating/stutter..   They are a p.i.t.a. on the road.. i would like them on a track.. not on the road.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Webers and carbs alike are often a problem .. just my experience.. I like the HJG46W a lot! Have my 240z now for 25 years and drove not a lot but i only readjusted them once!  (They are more or less without a problem! )

And another thing.. wait with buying a lot of stuff you don't need at the moment ( no don't ask haha how i know..)  Yes it's nice to buy yourself a lot of sparkling new stuff but first GET THAT CHASSIS/BODY READY FIRST!  😮

You also must have won the lottery as you want a 3,1 L engine build? those are not cheap! And carbs like webers dito. the hitachi's are original and without problems and not expensive.. think twice.. 🙊

I always planned to go initially with the HJG46Ws I have but I'm unsure if they will keep up with the stroker.  I totally understand what you're saying! The reason I'm not phased about spending money on the engine/driveline is that I have the 280zx as a fall back. So if I dont end up using the components on the 240z they will be able to go straight into the 280zx, 3.1 engine, gearbox, carbs everything driveline related. 

• Like 2

The carbs Ryan has here should work fine in a stroker, given proper cylinder head prep and porting, larger valves, proper tuned exhaust……

With the caveat regarding the tuning and jetting. 

They will certainly give more to the right foot fun factor.

• Like 2