IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

1 hour ago, AK260 said:

I do find that email posted above particularly gobsmacking in the current climate; to try to turn the virus / world affecting issue to your political advantage. But it is symptomatic of how broken politics, elected officials and their parties are - not just in the US but everywhere else too.

Yeah, I found the timing to be particularly distasteful. And it's not over. I got another fundraiser email this morning. That makes FIVE fundraiser requests in just the past two days! it used to be maybe one a week. Now five in the past to days. Paraphrase the latest one? "Don't believe what you see on news stations other than F. I'm really doing a great job. Really. If it's not good news about me, then it must be fake. Send me money."

To exploit the opportunity and a “let no crisis go wasted” mentality when we have citizens dying and families scared and hunkered down is totally unacceptable.

• Like 1

I  think: The only way forward (until a vaccine is made) is for all to wear masks in public and to test everyone weekly.... I wonder how long before:

1. Leaders realize this.

2. There are enough mask manufacturing facilities to supply the demand.

3. There are enough test kits manufacturing facilities to supply the demand.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

This thread is in the Open Chit-Chat forum.

No where in our site guidelines (snippet attached) does it say that the Open Chit-Chat forum is exempt from the rules. I agree with @AZ-240z that we are treading a little to close to political bias with some posts, just my opinion.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanTechZ said:

No where in our site guidelines (snippet attached) does it say that the Open Chit-Chat forum is exempt from the rules. I agree with @AZ-240z that we are treading a little to close to political bias with some posts, just my opinion.

Capture.JPG

These are extraordinary times.  I hope that Mike will make an exception.  I don't see that anyone is getting personal, which is the main reason that anyone avoids political discussion.  

I've enjoyed the thread and think that we're all learning here.  And, just like other threads, there's the Ignore button.  Or, just don't click.  We're all adults and should be able to control our impulses.

Don't really know what to think of this.  If more testing is supposed to lower the death rate by ID'ing more people that weren't hospitalized, why is the death rate at 4.5% now.  It sat at 3.4% for quite a while (I was doing the math).

22,295 deaths / 492,503 confirmed = 0.0452 as of this posting.

image.png

@Mike  Or anyone that is IT savvy.  Can you do anything with the free data?  Might be a side-project for you.  Maybe even a different web site.  The Financial Times took the data and extracted country by country data. But they have a paywall so it's not available for viewing.

Of course, here in North America, it would be nice to drill down to counties, provinces and states.

Just a thought.  Here's a link - https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov/

https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

16 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Death Rate is worse. You need to compare the dead today against the number infected ~2 weeks ago as it normally takes ~ 2-4 weeks from symptoms to death

That's a good point.  Deaths need to catch up.  Many have been expecting the death rate to drop as more testing was done.  The global data includes Italy and Spain though and they probably have very little testing, just sick people at the hospitals.  But that implies that the actual numbers of infected are much higher.  

The curve seems to be getting worse, however it's viewed though.  Don't see any flattening.

Locally, 59 identified Coronavirus cases, seven deaths, National Guard set up a Field Hospital in the nearby County Fairground.

I'm sheltered in place, rationing toilet paper, and binge watching Tiger King on Netflix.  I'm looking forward to waking up from this bad dream.

Dennis

• Like 1