IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.

Total Deaths Reported from Covid

Current 7-Day Average

1 hour ago, DC871F said:

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.

Total Deaths Reported from Covid

Current 7-Day Average

Driving a car is dangerous stuff. Probably the most dangerous thing we all do every day.  Soon our cars will drive themselves and the death rates will be fractional of what they are now.  

• Agree 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Pilgrim said:

Which is exactly why teachers should be under a vaccination mandate.

Except that being vaccinated only protects the individual vaccinated from the bug. They can still become a carrier and spread it to the unvaccinated.

The only way to eradicate a pest is to destroy it completely. The only way to destroy it completely is to eliminate any viable hosts.

Vaccinating any and all viable hosts is the only way.

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Except that being vaccinated only protects the individual vaccinated from the bug. They can still become a carrier and spread it to the unvaccinated.

The only way to eradicate a pest is to destroy it completely. The only way to destroy it completely is to eliminate any viable hosts.

Vaccinating any and all viable hosts is the only way.

So you dont see this pandemic ending? Most pandemics ends within 1.5-2 years. Flu kills hundreds of thousands every year, covid will be just one of them. 

Flu doesn't do anything near to what Covid has done.  It may come down to an annual vaccine, just like a flu shot.  This virus is mutating, and in that respect, I don't see the pandemic ending.  I'm beginning to think that we may have to learn to live with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC871F said:

So you dont see this pandemic ending? Most pandemics ends within 1.5-2 years. Flu kills hundreds of thousands every year, covid will be just one of them. 

Eventually, yes.

After one, or both, of two things happens.

As a society we all get behind a collective effort at eradicating the virus.

Or, it kills off all those who refuse to get vaccinated.

And like I said, or both.

• Like 1

Facts only mean so much but here are some.  

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

image.png

image.png

Looks like 510,000 for the first full year of COVID-19.  We're at 127,000 already at about 6 months in to the second year.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

"Or, it kills off all those who refuse to get vaccinated."

About 1% die from covid, give or take. I got covid before there was a vaccine, so did my wife and two kids. 

Pretending that the rate of death is 10% is something I don't understand.

No outrage from many other things in our society that kill as many or more than covid. I guess it's low hanging fruit for political consumption.

Edited by DC871F

12 hours ago, DC871F said:

More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways. The U.S. traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. An additional 4.4 million are injured seriously enough to require medical attention.

@DC871F I believe I can usually figure out what people are trying to say when they post stuff, but in this case, I'm sorry but I'm at a loss.

What does traffic death statistics have to do with covid? Why are you posting that?

15 hours ago, DC871F said:

So you dont see this pandemic ending? Most pandemics ends within 1.5-2 years.Flu kills hundreds of thousands every year, covid will be just one of them. 

@DC871FCould you please cite your sources for the info above? I'd like to review the data.

The reason I'm questioning is that Zed Head's numbers (cited with links from the CDC) do not support your claim and I'm wondering if it's a math mistake or what. According to the estimates cited by ZH, there were a TOTAL of 209 thousand who died in the US from the flu IN THE LAST TEN YEARS, while there were about 500 thousand who died from covid IN JUST LAST YEAR.

When I look at that data, my takeaway is "in just 2020 alone, over twice as many people died in the US from covid than the last combined TEN years of the flu." That's what the numbers look like to me.

I'm not sure I'm looking at it right... Am I misinterpreting the CDC's numbers?