IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

[mention=32672]Av8ferg[/mention], that is refreshing to hear, I think the majority of us understand that for the most part all governments are self serving, right or left wing, 4 yrs then 4yrs...  The thing that concerns me is the shape of the world economy, not getting the sniffles.  Tens of millions of people live pay cheque to pay cheque and also carry large debt loads, no amount of tax funded "emergency benefits/loans" are going to fix that.  It seems like we are shooting ourselves in the foot.
Here is an interesting read, https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-covid-pandemic-response-scientists-1.5502423

Great read. So we’ve lost over 18 Trillion US dollars in the market since the virus panic on Wall Street began. This is almost equal to the entire US GDP and the US total debt. All this loss in two weeks. Factories closing, widespread law offs, small business closing like restaurants. The second and third order effects are serious. So to me the government believes the virus is worse than the global economic damage and devastation to personal incomes. Most people do live pay check to pay check. All this is very destabilizing. I don’t believe we have all the facts to determine what’s happening but when you look at the actions taken you can see there is more than meet the eye here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AK260 said:

I’ve heard and read some very entertaining conspiracy theories:

"Conspiracy theory" is a misnomer.

Why?

theory. [ thē′ə-rē, thîr′ē ] A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena. Most theories that are accepted by scientists have been repeatedly tested by experiments and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. See Note at hypothesis.

There is nothing theoretical about any so- called  conspiracy "theories".

It's a way for conspiracy supporters to tell themselves and others;

" Look at me, I don't support any mainstream views, 'cause I am too smart for that".

They fail to realize that they now believe every "alternative fact" no matter how ridiculous (flat earth anyone)?

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I could be wrong but I’m convinced the government will lie if it has to, to get done what it thinks needs to happen to keep the peace.  

How can you tell if a government spokesperson is lying to you?

You see his/her lips moving.

Dennis

• Haha 3

It's nice to be connected.  Could have got a head start on the financial problem.  I'll bet some of this audience made a killing, shorting the market.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

Edited by Zed Head

It's nice to be connected.  Could have got a head start on the financial problem.  I'll bet some of this audience made a killing, shorting the market.
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

Just wait for the rebound. In modern history we’ve seen two incredible stock market rebounds after: 1987’s black Monday, 2008’s financial crisis. The one after COVID-19 will be preceded by a blood bath of bankruptcies and take overs / consolidations bur we will witness one of the biggest rallies in history. The killer is the likes of Shell, Vodafone, BP etc which are pension plays and many pensioners who live off the dividends (based on share price) will suffer hugely in the short term. :(

After every forest fire there is an explosion of growth, but you have to survive the devastation first!

Most of us on this forum are lucky enough to have reserves but I really feel for those living pay cheque to pay cheque.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AK260 said:

Just wait for the rebound.

Probably.  My point was more about politicians profiting from the plight of the masses.  I was being sarcastic.

Burr knew so you have to think that many of his colleagues knew.  Look at how the efforts to get things started were slow-walked over the last weekend.  

It's sociopathic, by definition, I think.

• Like 1

I watched an interesting documentary about the 1918 (Spanish flu) pandemic last night on TV. The first reported case was at an Army base in Kansas, March 11, 1918, then it crossed the Atlantic to Brest, France with the WWI American troop landings. It became the "Spanish flu" because Spain, being neutral in the war was the first to announce it on May 22, 1918. None of the powers at war, at the time, wanted to let the other side know of their vulnerability due to the flu. That flu, thanks to the war, had a full two months to spread within the troops and into the population before anyone could step in and begin to take preventative measures.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dhp123166 said:

I am counting on it!

I stocked up on painting supplies, so if I get stuck at home maybe I can make some real progress on the car

44 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Probably.  My point was more about politicians profiting from the plight of the masses.  I was being sarcastic.

Burr knew so you have to think that many of his colleagues knew.  Look at how the efforts to get things started were slow-walked over the last weekend.  

It's sociopathic, by definition, I think.

Did you know that congress and their staffs are exempt from the insider trading laws?

• Like 1