IGNORED

FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!

zKars

can you tell if the shift rod seems fully seated in the detent? IIRC after shifting you should feel a tiny bit of fore/aft play in the shifter, if not then perhaps the rod had not seated into a detent. in other words the shifter ball is firmly pressing inside the socket after engaging, not good.

No big surprise here, but the two japanese sources that claimed to have new shift forks have said NLA and returned my money. Poop.

Now I need someone with a trashed 5 speed that I can scavenge for parts or this entire trans is trash or will be a donor for other parts. 

Edited by zKars

carpartsmanual says the 4 speed forks will work, if you get the right 4 speed. It also says that you might get the wrong 5 speed parts, and be in the same pickle.  I'm repeating myself, but just in case you didn't look at the link.  It's not the number of gears, it's the part number.

Not to disparage this thread , but that’s why recently I opted for a 71C for my 83 truck. You can t find B’s because they don’t last, parts are hard to come by , and have a weak counter bearing . C kits are cheaper and more abundant and they don’t break as much because they are stronger . 

While I agree with Madkaw's statement about C types, (I have one going in my 510 shortly), they are not always as available as I'd like. They also need shifter location in the console adjustment, and shortened drive shafts, and engine mount tweaking, so not all will choose them.

Given the reduced cost now of rebuilding a B type myself now vs getting someone else to do it, I will keep all the B's in my life alive until all the shift forks give out.

• Like 3

• zKars changed the title to FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!
4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

zKars, could you rename this thread to the right name of gearbox because no one can find it back later on..   FS5W71B    Thanks!

Done. Didn't know you can do that! 

Just click and hold on the title text, and it turns into an edit field. 

• Like 1