IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

I had a set from a 78 that looked way worse than those.  Outside was all rusted up.  But they flowed evenly when i tested them.  The insides were in great shape.  That is the part number for the factory original Nissan injectors.  They make a tan color also.  The number is the part number for the plastic body, I think.  Doesn't mean a lot.

I would just try them out, if you build the engine test stand you can get everything all hooked up, don't install, fire the injectors and know real fast how they will behave.

If you want a little more effort some injector cleaner in a can and rig up a way to connect to the hose, fire it with a 9v battery. that way you will have a pretty good idea of the status with minimal hookup.

Thanks for all the injector advice. I decided to call Motor Man and got in touch with the owner named Howard. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. He has $25,000 worth of equipment dedicated to injector cleaning and refurbishment. He spend almost 15 mins on the phone with me talking about what they do the process and general injector information. He does a series of tests on the injectors that include, leak checks, resistance, coil check, and flow rates. He tests individual flow rate and compares to the entire lot to see if there is one over or under performing. He replaces the small filter in each injector, new o-rings and also sand blast to remover corrosion and puta them in a ultra Sonics bath for about an hour and then puts a clear protective coating on them. He said the parts for top feed injectors alone are $5 each and will be as such will be raising prices soon as $14.99 each is not economically viable anymore. Probably increasing to $20 soon. He also lubricates the internals before shipping for people who may store them for months prior to install.
I’m going to give this guy a chance and report back to you all what they look like coming back. He has a 100% satisfaction guarantee and provides an individual report of each injectors performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were just suggesting the DIY way.  It's fun.  Watching the highly flammable fuel squirt out next the sparky battery connections, creating a cloud of vapor.  Good times.

As far as Howard:  what else would you expect him to say?  He's a businessman with $25,000 worth of capital.  Just kidding, but seriously...

$15 per injector isn't bad.  You said you had another set?  You might send him seven, if they're Nissan brand, so if he finds a bad one you won't have to buy one of his $30 injectors.  And you'll have a spare.

ZH, good idea in sending an extra one. I get your point on the business man thing but I think I can sense a the difference between a guy trying to take my $$ and a guy who provides a valued service to feed his family. Its like that book “Blink” the first 15 second meeting a person gives you a ton of information about them.
He’s a legit guy with a passion for injectors....there all sorts of people with odd passions....all the regulars on this forum are excluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

def a good idea to send extras, no doubt one will be off so a match is easier to accomplish with extras. When I had mine cleaned I too got a report, one was about 10% more flow rate than the rest (they were about 3%-5% the same AFTER cleaning). I did not have any extras at the time to match to. Some of my plugs are a tiny bit darker than others, so maybe that is a factor, but not enough to worry about. One thing you may want to do if you are so inclined, market them (the injectors) so you know which reported flow rate goes with which injector (the will prob have a tag on them). That way for future reference you can read the plugs and see if indeed the color matches the flow rates.

• Like 1

I didn't pay complete attention (because it wasn't my horse in the race), but I remember someone sent injectors out for cleaning and then when they came back, they didn't use them for a "while". And after sitting, some of them didn't work right? Something like that? Theory being that they rusted up inside over the delay time.

I don't remember if that was on this forum, or someplace else. May not have even been a Z. But I remember something about that.

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

LOL. I suspect you're not far behind me!   Haha!!  LOL

OK, OK... I'm gonna take a stab and say that @Dave WM was involved? Maybe?

not me, they went were fine when I got them back (took my working ones to a marine shop). and the went right back in service. I did have a few I got at a JY that were beyond recovery at least with my primitive self cleaning techniques (soaked them in PB blaster while applying a 60hz low volt ac to try and vibrate them loose, they were rusted solid. Maybe a professional cleaning would have done something but I never got that far.