IGNORED

A dumb question...

conedodger

So I’ve had my Z since 1980 and in that time, it’s had 4 colors, original white, Porsche Guards Red, Chevrolet Hugger Yellow and now back to white. I recall 4 engines. The original, two that I built (stockish with compression bump and balancing) and now the Rebello motor. The motor is still out because I decided to repaint the engine compartment and it exceedingly tedious. I’m down to the firewall now though, so we are getting close. My question is, can I stab the engine in with the headers and intake installed? I’ve always done them after it was in. 

Pictures for interest... 

4785EB4F-05E0-465B-900B-BA58621FBB5D.jpeg

0F53B146-FC1E-473C-A203-5999F4841D18.jpeg

0B546AB6-F5B2-4C54-91C7-8EA02D069FF0.jpeg

7E5CB732-2343-4F7C-BB09-EE781CBBCF9C.jpeg

B7020A9D-2765-4DAD-BAA6-1B2002550BF0.jpeg

24E304C8-4FAC-41BD-81CC-9FD14F4445A2.jpeg

• Like 2

tips:

I recall once jacking the back up at the differential to get better angles when the garage had a low ceiling for the engine crane.

Getting the engine as high as possible helps.

Ensuring the bottom of the crane can slide under the car to line the engine up on the centre line is important. Do a test run of the crane with no engine first. Sometimes a low air dam is a problem.

• Like 1

Jim, this is slightly off topic, but as it is my topic, I’m going to take a little license here. I have always loved your car. But now having actually read the small print in your signature lines, I am totally smitten. I’ve owned mine since 1980, but I’m the second owner. I am grateful to the original owner who bought just about everything in the Datsun Competition Catalog and then sold it to me to “save his marriage” (it didn’t work). Your car and you are on my short list of best Z cars I’ve seen! I’m also a IZCC member from back-in-the-day, but I’m not on the OO list and I’m about member 2500? 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Edited by conedodger
  • Like 4

Just did mine last night with intake/exhaust installed. I wrapped a heavy tow strap around the transmission bellhousing, and the area just before the transmission, being careful to spread the load. You just have to watch the roll of the engine, because it'll want to rub against brackets and things bolted to the driver's side firewall. 8267f8aa361ff5da6f10376010db03e1.jpg

Sent from my Coolpad 3310A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:
2 hours ago, Mike said:

You can do it, no problem if you take your time.  I also used one of these to tilt the engine as it's installed.

61EA1FBa9XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use one of those but I took the handle off and use an impact gun to move the load around

• Like 2