IGNORED

Opinions on Z

Robert9790

I'm showing my age of course, but trying to buy a car off the web reminds me of Blanch's signature line from "Streetcar Named Desire", that "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", a metaphor for tragic naivete.

Ya gotta evaluate in the first person to do yourself right.

Take the Z that started this thread. Only a personal visit could validate the possibility that it's wearing more original paint than just in the engine room and at the tail/around the hatch. Heck, my orig. '77 looks that good with a wash and a wax. It's possible.

One might think curiosity alone would be worth a magnet and a good look at the underside of that puppy.

So maybe the seller is as honest as Trump; you can still make a better deal with first-hand info. You'd be surprised how many sharp-dealers will cave in the face of the obvious.

And after all, you've got one thing going for you; most rainbows for pot-o-gold cars end in California. But you won't find it sitting behind a computer.

Just a thought....

A 71 with non matching engine that needs fairly extensive rust repair, floor pans, rear deck lid very, probable doglegs, battery tray.  If you don't mind buying a project and he is willing to knock a few thousand off then it could be a good deal. If you do the work yourself you could get away with putting another $12-15,000 to bring it up to be  a very nice reliable driver. The non matching engine is really going to bite you when you try and sell it. Just my opinion, I love buying Z's like this one, the amount repair is do-able, this car would also be a good candidate for an engine swap.

Edited by grannyknot

9 hours ago, Robert9790 said:

As much as i would love to see every Z that i have interest in, it seems unrealistic in my personal scenario as most of the cars appear to be out of the area. 

I've taken interest in: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/56605129 and would love your opinions.

Looks fairly good shape to start. It is priced close to its value (as of recent sales) and I would say it should go for around $7500- $8500.  A full restoration will cost upwards of $30,000 but a refresh with some basic repairs etc will be like Granny says, a little closer to $12-15,000 (for a non-rotisserie restoration). You could do worse....

Midwest salt belt car, sat for years, quite a bit of visible corrosion, Poor fit on hood - see trailing edge seam at cowl, needs new bumpers, needs tires, not sure why they refer to the exterior color as "Avacado", the car has been stored for 35 years which means the engine swap and repaint happened sort of early in its life.  Appears to have been "rode hard and put away wet" as they say with neglected horses.

I think I'd keep looking.

Dennis 

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, psdenno said:

Midwest salt belt car, sat for years, quite a bit of visible corrosion, Poor fit on hood - see trailing edge seam at cowl, needs new bumpers, needs tires, not sure why they refer to the exterior color as "Avacado", the car has been stored for 35 years which means the engine swap and repaint happened sort of early in its life.  Appears to have been 
"rode hard and put away wet" as they say with neglected horses.

I think I'd keep looking.

Dennis 

Thank you very much, going to keep on hunting then. Again, appreciate all your help, awesome Z community.

@Robert9790 Portland, Or. Craig's List "1976 Datsun 280z - $7500". Post id 6973601510. Interesting Z. It's an injected automatic but if the body is good it's reasonably priced. I hope the sidewall ventiports (Buick's name for them as I recall) and other decorations on the fenders are just glued on. The wheels are A.R. Vectors.