Hey guys,

New to the forum and searching to find my first Z project car. Trying to keep budget to around ~10k if possible, with a bit of wiggle room. 

Ran across: https://www.vintagecarcollector.com/vehicles/996/1975-datsun-280z but im not sure if its a good deal or not. Would love some insight as to what you guys look for in a Z before purchase.

Many thanks!

Buyer beware!  Some very unsatisfied buyers.  One star reviews from real people, 5 stars from one person; fake I'm sure.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/glendale/profile/auto-brokers/vintage-car-collector-1216-762227/customer-reviews

Take your time, the right one will find you.  Kind of weird how that works but it does.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

You want one with the least rust.  Are you going to work on it yourself, ready to drive, carburetor or EFI?

Some good info here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=buying+my+first+Z+classiczcars.com&rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&oq=buying+my+first+Z+classiczcars.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.13549j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cliff beat me to it. What's missing in the description of the car is the most important item. Body condition, specifically RUST. Any visible rust is only 10% of what you'll find when it's opened up. The hood on this one appears to have rust bubbles on the nose of the hood. That's a particularly difficult spot to repair.

• Like 1

Appreciate that, yes I am hoping to work on it myself. I don't have experience working on car bodies, but I have done engine work before. 

I'm hoping whatever car I find is drivable, I only commute once a week for about 100 miles. I think to get the genuine 240 experience I'm going to try and stay with carburators.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert9790 said:

Hey guys,

New to the forum and searching to find my first Z project car. Trying to keep budget to around ~10k if possible, with a bit of wiggle room. 

Would love some insight as to what you guys look for in a Z before purchase.

Many thanks!

The description on the ad says, "•ORIGINAL A/C CAR, ALL THE PARTS ARE INCLUDED "  Translation:  Original A/C no longer works so it was removed.  Plan on spending $1,000+ for a new A/C system and another $1,000+ to have it installed and charged.  Budget, or make offer, accordingly.

That said, keep looking.

Dennis

• Like 1

Try "searchtempest" for craigslist cars all around you. $10K should get you something decent but since the prices have rocketed this past year or so you may consider an efi car, '75 and up, change over to carbs for fairly cheap compared to rebuilding the old fuel injection. You'd get a little bigger motor, 2.8 instead of 2.4, for less dough ray me. 

Find some and post them up here. We'll gladly tell you what to do! ROFL

Welcome to the club!

Just FYI keep in mind if you decide to go with the 280z you'll have to smog the 76 thru 78. Smog cut off here in CA is 1975. So you can't remove smog equipment. And you need to know what to look for, If any smog equipment has been removed, if its working or not, etc.

You've come to the right place though. Very knowledgeable and friendly people in this club.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

Hey guys, 
Appreciate all the great info. I'm definitely going to be looking for an pre-76 240z. I've found a few cars, but I havent pulled the trigger because of either rust issues or them being a bit out of my spending limit. Im trying to stay around ~10k and i do want a manual. As soon as i'm on my desktop I'll show you the lot of cars i've been keeping an eye on. The input is definitely appreciated. I am alright with doing work on the car, but also dont want a rusty death trap haha.

.....and I can, if available, help you inspect potential Z car purchases. I'm not too far away from you. I'm not an "expert" but 2 sets of eyes are always better than one.

• Like 4

FOr a look at what can be hidden under  a couple of gallons of bondo and shiny paint...

Edited by hls30.com
linked wrong illustration
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Here's something to read when you have a minute. It's our worst "dream" car. 

Dang, ok i'm working on a small list of areas that gather rust. That's literally my worst nightmare lol! I dont want to impulse buy something that looks great from the outside but then is a deathtrap on the inside.

15 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Don't disregard automatic Zs. Looking at Zs over the years I've found the automatic Zs are usually still in better shape, a better chance that they were garaged sometime in their life, usually were driven less spiritedly and don't cost quite as much. It's really easy to convert an automatic to a manual in Zs and the used parts aren't very expensive yet, especially if you go with a four speed. Carbed Zs ended with the 1974 260Z. Anything after that was injected.

Interesting, a few posts that i had read talked about the conversion being expensive. Maybe gettnig an automatic would entice me to get a different nissan engine down the road. 
Thanks for the idea!

1 hour ago, rcb280z said:

.....and I can, if available, help you inspect potential Z car purchases. I'm not too far away from you. I'm not an "expert" but 2 sets of eyes are always better than one.

That would be great, I'll make sure you let you know if i find some in that area. Much appreciated!

On 9/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, Robert9790 said:

Hey guys,

Ran across: https://www.vintagecarcollector.com/vehicles/996/1975-datsun-280z but im not sure if its a good deal or not. Would love some insight as to what you guys look for in a Z before purchase.

Many thanks!

A what looks to be very nice 240z was posted 4 hours away from you, if you're trying to make a weekend trip https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/57761767

3 minutes ago, Datonedatsun said:

A what looks to be very nice 240z was posted 4 hours away from you, if you're trying to make a weekend trip https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/57761767

Just sent them a message, asked for a few more pictures and to see if it has any notable rust spots.

Thanks!

Edited by Robert9790

3 minutes ago, Robert9790 said:

Just sent them a message, asked for a few more pictures and to see if it has any notable rust spots.

Thanks!

No problem, good luck with finding a car! Post a pic when you do!

When I get scammed through an auction or internet retailer, if they don't back up what they sell, I contact my credit card company.  They will back me up.  At one time, I was restoring an old Jeep truck.  I bought 4 refinished wheels but they didn't match. They had variations in the color and the casting.  They said I bought 4 wheels.  Not a set of wheels so they refused to take them back. My credit card company went to bat for me.

My paypal account is tied to my credit card only and not my checking for that reason.  If someone purchased a car using Paypal in similar condition as old yeller above and the ad was as deceptive, I wonder if a person would be successful by contacting their credit card company and withholding payment?

• Like 1

I'm showing my age of course, but trying to buy a car off the web reminds me of Blanch's signature line from "Streetcar Named Desire", that "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", a metaphor for tragic naivete.

Ya gotta evaluate in the first person to do yourself right.

Take the Z that started this thread. Only a personal visit could validate the possibility that it's wearing more original paint than just in the engine room and at the tail/around the hatch. Heck, my orig. '77 looks that good with a wash and a wax. It's possible.

One might think curiosity alone would be worth a magnet and a good look at the underside of that puppy.

So maybe the seller is as honest as Trump; you can still make a better deal with first-hand info. You'd be surprised how many sharp-dealers will cave in the face of the obvious.

And after all, you've got one thing going for you; most rainbows for pot-o-gold cars end in California. But you won't find it sitting behind a computer.

Just a thought....