Differential fluid - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Differential fluid

Featured Replies

A 1/2 inch socket drive fits.  I've found that the wobble type get a better bite.  The straight ones slip out easily.

Run a torch flame around the plug to expand the hole.  It's a taper fit, that's why it sticks out like that, and Nissan used a powerful sealant.  

image.png

Yeah I found the 1/2inch fits in the drain plug but It's the fill plug that I'm struggling to get to.

Thanks 

Oops.  I use a big adjustable wrench, aka Crescent wrench.

image.png

p.s.  I've found that a 12 point socket will often fit a four point plug like that one.  The six points won't.  But the grip is weak because the contact area is small.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
1 minute ago, grannyknot said:

How do you when it's enough?

Won't the overfill come out through the vent anyhow? He'll know it's full when there's a puddle. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

How do you when it's enough?

I read the FSM and put in that amount. I just make sure there is a way to let air out the breather as I fill through it. 

I think that you can fill through an axle hole also.  That square head is pretty easy to get the leverage on though.  Not sure why you'd not remove it.  No offense to those that didn't.

  • 3 weeks later...
Oops.  I use a big adjustable wrench, aka Crescent wrench.
image.png.5e9eb5ba607856d4d2ac92a5eaf19d1a.png


Yup, that’s how I did mine. Wrench on and two or three moderately hard hits with a 2.5lb hammer and she spun like a ballerina!

A 1 inch piece of flat stock about 10 inches long with a 1/2 inch bar stock piece welded to the end. The I/2 piece was measured to allow it to just fit between the mustache bar and the diff for a normal cover. You can also just weld the short piece of 1/2 bar stock to 10 inches of 1/2 stock. The extra capacity cover has a side filler and is somewhat easier to get at with a 1/2 inch extension. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.