IGNORED

280Z fusible links

EuroDat

If the red ones with no markings are thicker, overall, than the Yazaki parts, but still 0.3, then logic would say that a green one with no markings that is thinner than the 0.3 red one might be less than 0.3.

No marks, no knowing, unless you measure the wire itself.  Logic says.  No offense intended.  The red links are a big (thick) wrench in the works.  They are nicely made though, soldered ends and everything.

Edited by Zed Head

On 3/23/2019 at 2:40 AM, EuroDat said:

Hi Joseph,

The write-up on your site looks good, and clear so most will understand.

If we can determine the month when Nissan changed over to the three brown wires, that would help most people with the 76 model 280Z's. We all keep saying 76 and 77-78 model, but that could be interpreted as December - January.

All the information I read points to the change taking place in July - August.

That matches what we have. As far as our very old microfiche, the first month shown on the 0.3 (Brown/Red) links was 8/75 (Note: Greg said that initial months of the new Z weren't always consistent year to year, and that 8/75 was considered a 1976 model year). On the 76 section of the fiche, it shows a quantity of 2 (through 7/76). On the 77-78 section of the fiche, it shows a quantity of 3 (from 8/76).

The 0.5 Green link (again, as far as our microfiche), showed 7/76 as the last month.

Interesting completely unrelated random fact that never crossed my mind before during the past 26+ years at Motorsport (yikes), if the numbers are accurate, the 1975 280Z was technically only in production for 8 months, from December to July...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zspert said:

Your 9/75 drawing is interesting.  It mimics what the FSM diagrams show, with the B(lack) link in the back.  But my 1/76 car has the link blocks reversed with the B-R block in front, as I showed in my earlier pictures.  You can't really swap the blocks by accident either because the wires harness are cut and bent to length.  They kind of fall in to place even if you unscrew the link blocks.  Of course, it might be that on the manufacturing line they bolted the blocks either front or back willy-nilly.  Who knows.

Or...somebody put the links in the wrong places on your customer car.  Did you look at the labels on the blocks, or just the links?  You used "Red" so I assume just the links.

image.png

I did some analysis of my old red links. I have no idea if they are factory originals or not, but they sure look old enough that they could be. With that in mind...

The insulation OD is 2.8mm (.110 inch), which does NOT fit cleanly into the Yazaki datasheet.
There are five strands of wire inside the insulation.
Each strand measures approx .28mm diameter ( 0.11 inches ).

If you do the math... Each strand has an area of approx .062mm sq and five of those all together is 0.31mm cross sectional area.

So it appears to me that the old red links are pretty much the same cross sectional area as the new brown links. The insulation diameter is different, but the conductor cross sectional area seems right.

Yup. Nice pic. That fits with the previous discussion about the 77 and 78's. You can see where someone wrote "REAR" on the 24020-N4701 block (the one for the headlights and EFI and ignition relay).

And you can see the larger gauge R/W wire on the other 24020-N4700 block where the larger black link is installed.