Recommended Posts

    1978 280z 

    Odometer reads 45K and that’s probably just what it is. Bought in 1999 from original owner with under 20K miles on it. I barely drive it nowadays and it just isn’t fair to the car.

    Well maintained, never failed a smog test.

    Renovations include but not limited to: new paint (BMW taupe metal-fleck), new upholstery (in original burnt orange), new wheels and dash cap. Wooden steering wheel and stick shift nob from my old 240z. 

    This car is a joy to drive. When I’m on the road people wave, high-five and yell compliments at stop lights— it makes my day! Best conversation starter, ever, but you probably know all about that... Will have a price once tune up and general check up done.

    - Engine runs well and have only done the necessary or advised— as you can see.

    - Apron missing (under front bumper).

    - Rust spots under hatch

    - Tool kit is all there, never been used. Regulation issue Datsun spare tire inflator canister! And original spare tire which has transferred rust stains to well.

    Next up: service and repair record, or as much as I can lay my hands on. Let me know if need further photos. 

    Thank you for interest and advice!

    183913C2-CA77-4025-8378-832B41C5DC56.jpeg

    7634B130-A811-4661-B974-BCC5FF040FC7.jpeg

    1B3C7769-6DE8-4A85-AB9F-23E6CC4D06F7.jpeg

    B855F7A1-5530-4132-9620-1BA53B4BE429.jpeg

    2A495553-065E-4F4E-9D36-8AEDBBCB794A.jpeg

    94F53476-27A3-42A8-B594-86F011D55F28.jpeg

    BD283641-AF90-479B-9C28-8CD34E07F5D3.jpeg

    7552C916-C755-4040-96C3-4C30C1B21739.jpeg

    5E30C451-39C2-4D51-8EA8-4087C37C6295.jpeg

    5BF06320-7565-4BAF-8B72-223B0DC02B9C.jpeg

    B10CACA1-9997-471D-A0FB-8FB17EB694DC.jpeg

    C932D08E-84FB-4F45-A9D8-8F9041A85524.jpeg

    4903913F-41FE-417F-BD92-B97C1614918F.jpeg

    8605FB14-EB5B-46D3-90BC-F98886D94F67.jpeg

    4557B7C7-7C50-4BD8-B149-53B01E264E4C.jpeg

    09B1C680-295C-40D3-9D80-001E6E036803.jpeg

    C69F136E-A372-4D0B-9DA5-4BC1CE39DF17.jpeg

    774090FC-0CC0-453E-8235-0030445D2239.jpeg

    D3B537FA-BC65-4C2D-AD5F-A28052A841BB.jpeg

    B4031120-61F1-4221-8D0A-6B9C30741CA2.jpeg

    6479B313-5F92-4D5F-AC8E-21FBE52E806A.jpeg

    F038B413-61CA-41A7-BB35-EDEAC4607B9D.jpeg

    5F7FC659-5B9C-41C5-B588-A1C299113B78.jpeg

    05FFD3F6-0DF7-4F23-B0A4-5DD018AB03CF.jpeg

    Edited by A Delory
    But wait, there’s more...
    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    You'll need some engine pics also but I agree, looks to be a very nice 78'.  If I was looking, I'd be all over this one.  Good Luck!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    20 hours ago, A Delory said:

    Would appreciate any advice on where I might be able to get this work done in Los Angeles area. Anyone?

    I see the license plate frame in front is from Sunrise Z service which is located in Glendale. What about them? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, A Delory said:

    1978 280z 

    Odometer reads 45K and that’s probably just what it is. Bought in 1999 from original owner with under 20K miles on it. I barely drive it nowadays and it just isn’t fair to the car.

    Well maintained, never failed a smog test.

    I would like to fix a few things before selling: remove window tinting (without destroying heat conduit on hatch window), unstick ornery seatbelt mechanism, fix latch on driver’s side door. Would appreciate any advice on where I might be able to get this work done in Los Angeles area. Anyone?

     Price will be determined after repairs or somewhere around $8K.

    You probably won't get your money back on the cost for those small fixes.  Those are the kind of things people overlook when buying.  People buy the bigger picture.  If it has a good smog sticker, sell it now.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Where in LA? There's some well-regarded Z shops down here if you need a shop (though I agree with Zed, especially at the price you're asking).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, charliekwin said:

     

    I'm interested in your car. Please let me know when you have put a final price on the car,   Thanks. John

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I’m looking for a good 280 for project car development in my retirement and yours appears to such a car, I’d like to see more. Btw these fixes are not required if they will add costs for you. 

    Thanks 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, rcb280z said:

    I see the license plate frame in front is from Sunrise Z service which is located in Glendale. What about them? 

    Unfortunately they are out of business

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, Zed Head said:

    You probably won't get your money back on the cost for those small fixes.  Those are the kind of things people overlook when buying.  People buy the bigger picture.  If it has a good smog sticker, sell it now.

    Right. Thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, jcb said:

    I'm interested in your car. Please let me know when you have put a final price on the car,   Thanks. John

    Will do

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/17/2019 at 2:44 PM, charliekwin said:

    Where in LA? There's some well-regarded Z shops down here if you need a shop (though I agree with Zed, especially at the price you're asking).

    Silverlake/Echo Park area. Just looking for over all check and tune up right now as regular maintenance experts have retired.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    On 1/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, JimiHaze said:

    I’m looking for a good 280 for project car development in my retirement and yours appears to such a car, I’d like to see more. Btw these fixes are not required if they will add costs for you. 

    Thanks 

    What more would you like to see and it will be revealed

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    engine pics and service history

    rust if any behind seats and spare tire well (pics) and lower panels 

    much appreciated 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, JimiHaze said:

    engine pics and service history

    rust if any behind seats and spare tire well (pics) and lower panels 

    much appreciated 

    Got it. Will do my best

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, A Delory said:

    Silverlake/Echo Park area. Just looking for over all check and tune up right now as regular maintenance experts have retired.

    Miller's Sport and Imports in Pasadena does Datsuns. I had him look over mine when I bought it. Just one guy, and he's always busy.

    There's Mike's Z Shop in Whittier and Z Expert in Santa Monica. Haven't dealt with either, but they seem to have good reputations.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    35 minutes ago, charliekwin said:

    Miller's Sport and Imports in Pasadena does Datsuns. I had him look over mine when I bought it. Just one guy, and he's always busy.

    There's Mike's Z Shop in Whittier and Z Expert in Santa Monica. Haven't dealt with either, but they seem to have good reputations.

    Thank you! I remember Mike’s Z Shop now. Pasadena is closer. Will explore

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sunrise Z closed years ago.  They did the 5-speed swap and other work in my car.

    Z Expert did the suspension work that I could not do myself.  Service and work is great there.  Wish they were closer to Burbank.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, 2377kN said:

    Sunrise Z closed years ago.  They did the 5-speed swap and other work in my car.

    Z Expert did the suspension work that I could not do myself.  Service and work is great there.  Wish they were closer to Burbank.

    Thanks for Z Expert review!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, A Delory said:

    1978 280z 

    Odometer reads 45K and that’s probably just what it is. Bought in 1999 from original owner with under 20K miles on it. I barely drive it nowadays and it just isn’t fair to the car.

    Well maintained, never failed a smog test.

    Renovations include but not limited to: new paint (BMW taupe metal-fleck), new upholstery (in original burnt orange), new wheels and dash cap. Wooden steering wheel and stick shift nob from my old 240z. Have all badges and original steering wheel.

    This car is a joy to drive. When I’m on the road people wave, high-five and yell compliments at stop lights— it makes my day! Best conversation starter, ever, but you probably know all about that...

    - Engine runs well and have only done the necessary or advised— as you can see, if my photographs are still here...

    - Apron missing (under front bumper)

    - Rust spots under hatch

    - Seat belts are a pain to operate but they work

    - Window tinting is coming off and is scratched and fogged on back hatch

    - Tool kit is all there, never been used. Regulation issue Datsun spare tire inflator canister(!) And original spare tire which has transferred rust stains to well

    February 22: tune up and smog test coming right up. In meantime I’ve unearthed all service, repair and renovation records as well as owners manuals, and will have them ready for interested parties. Price is still being considered pending tune up/smog. Feel free to comment on any of this.

    Thank you for your interest!

    — Photographs have slipped into a parallel universe... Will post changes and see if things still add up.

     

    On 1/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, A Delory said:

     

    183913C2-CA77-4025-8378-832B41C5DC56.jpeg

    7634B130-A811-4661-B974-BCC5FF040FC7.jpeg

    1B3C7769-6DE8-4A85-AB9F-23E6CC4D06F7.jpeg

    B855F7A1-5530-4132-9620-1BA53B4BE429.jpeg

    2A495553-065E-4F4E-9D36-8AEDBBCB794A.jpeg

    94F53476-27A3-42A8-B594-86F011D55F28.jpeg

    BD283641-AF90-479B-9C28-8CD34E07F5D3.jpeg

    7552C916-C755-4040-96C3-4C30C1B21739.jpeg

    5E30C451-39C2-4D51-8EA8-4087C37C6295.jpeg

    5BF06320-7565-4BAF-8B72-223B0DC02B9C.jpeg

    B10CACA1-9997-471D-A0FB-8FB17EB694DC.jpeg

    C932D08E-84FB-4F45-A9D8-8F9041A85524.jpeg

    4903913F-41FE-417F-BD92-B97C1614918F.jpeg

    8605FB14-EB5B-46D3-90BC-F98886D94F67.jpeg

    4557B7C7-7C50-4BD8-B149-53B01E264E4C.jpeg

    09B1C680-295C-40D3-9D80-001E6E036803.jpeg

    C69F136E-A372-4D0B-9DA5-4BC1CE39DF17.jpeg

    774090FC-0CC0-453E-8235-0030445D2239.jpeg

    D3B537FA-BC65-4C2D-AD5F-A28052A841BB.jpeg

    B4031120-61F1-4221-8D0A-6B9C30741CA2.jpeg

    6479B313-5F92-4D5F-AC8E-21FBE52E806A.jpeg

    F038B413-61CA-41A7-BB35-EDEAC4607B9D.jpeg

    5F7FC659-5B9C-41C5-B588-A1C299113B78.jpeg

    05FFD3F6-0DF7-4F23-B0A4-5DD018AB03CF.jpeg

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Smog Certification coming up. Should be done by April 15. Holding price at $8,000, for this site as I am looking for a buyer who will treat her right... Will post when smog cert done.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 1/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, jcb said:

    I'm interested in your car. Please let me know when you have put a final price on the car,   Thanks. John

    Arranging for smog certification. Asking $8,000.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    On 1/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, JimiHaze said:

    I’m looking for a good 280 for project car development in my retirement and yours appears to such a car, I’d like to see more. Btw these fixes are not required if they will add costs for you. 

    Thanks 

    Hi, I’ll be asking $8000. Should have smog certification by April 15. If you’re still interested let me know

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 4/6/2019 at 5:51 PM, A Delory said:

    Smog Certification coming up. Should be done by April 15. Holding price at $8,000, for this site as I am looking for a buyer who will treat her right... Will post when smog cert done.

    Smog done and Advert is up on this site

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now