IGNORED

280zx has been sitting in neighbor's yard for years, should I try to buy it?

5ive8ight

17 minutes ago, 5ive8ight said:

4 grand even with the dented fender and the oxidized paint?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I bet that paint could be buffed out pretty nicely if original. And dents can be fixed. Really hard to say on that single image but I don't see any rust. Interior condition matters a lot as does whether it's auto or stick too. But again, I could see $3500 being the high side as it sits if it's in good shape. A weekend worth of elbow grease with some good products could really freshen the look up. Mechanical condition matters too of course. In the end, I agree that I would offer no more than $1k in cash based on that photo alone and you could always start at $500 or so. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've been trying to buy a 240 from a guy for two years.  Found out he's a drug dealer but I want the car still.  I may start buying drugs from him?  He'd end up with both my Zs!  LOL

Maybe you could wait until the sheriff auctions it off after they seize it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I've been trying to buy a 240 from a guy for two years.  Found out he's a drug dealer but I want the car still.

Maybe you should ask him if he needs any help around his property, you know, cut the coke with icing sugar, pop the cold tablets out of the foil packages for meth, show him your earnest and hard working.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, 5ive8ight said:

Or I could just offer him $600 because he probably doesn't know that it's worth any more than that

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Heck, I’ve seen 280zx for sale for a good while in the $3500 range. I’d offer $400 honestly. Ask first what he would like to feel him out, then make your offer. He may say he wants $5k and you know not to go any farther. If he says $1000 or less, then Use your HS excuse. 

You can always go up, but once you make an offer your stuck. I don’t buy into the concept of my offer insults someone. It’s my money, if they don’t want it they can pass. 

I looked at vehicle today the guy wanted $2k for. It had lots of issues. He told me he had 100s of people inquire, offers of $1500 to $500 and I was the first one to show up in two weeks! I mention this as it was something a seller shouldn’t have divulged.

It was more than I wanted to get into so I asked what the best he would do? $1750. I passed.

This has been bugging me but I think it's true.  His parents will probably have to buy the car for him.  Best option might be the "you won't have to drive me around anymore" or "I'll quit borrowing the family car" scenario to his parents to get the ball rolling.  Plus it's right there, just roll it down the road.

Just saying, basically, the neighbor might not have the patience, knowing that he's not talking to the actual buyer.  The OP is basically a negotiator between the seller and the buyer.  Identify and examine the concerns of both parties and have answers for all of them.  Then get them together and see if you can make it happen.