IGNORED

280zx has been sitting in neighbor's yard for years, should I try to buy it?

5ive8ight

I never speak to this neighbor and I don't even think he knows who I am, but here's a picture of the car. I've never seen it move for 2 years and the tires look kinda flat. I'm kind of new to this but I think it's a 1983 non turbo 2 seater.sketch-1543876790708.jpeg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

IMO $3,500 on the high side.  I would try and buy it plus you may start a relationship with the neighbor?  Neighbors are nice to have but keep at a distance.  Friends that aren't really friends.  I don't like mine but we speak.  Boundaries! 
I'm still in high school with a minimum wage job so it would take quite a while to acquire 4 grand

You didn't mention if it was for sale. More info is needed about the car. The condition of the engine, body (rust), running gear, electrical, maintenance records, the reason it hasn't been on the road, etc. Above all you want to leave them with the impression that it's going to a better home and will be loved and cared for. However, don't take it on if you can't afford to fix it and keep it running. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Above all you want to leave them with the impression that it's going to a better home and will be loved and cared for.

Exactly, you're in HS, he'll know that, you live a couple of doors down, you don't have a ton of money to throw around but you are willing to offer to help him with jobs he may have around his property, it shows that your eagar, and honest.  You would be surprised how far that goes to convincing someone to let go of a car that he is probably never going to get around to.  It's worth a try.

• Like 1

Exactly, you're in HS, he'll know that, you live a couple of doors down, you don't have a ton of money to throw around but you are willing to offer to help him with jobs he may have around his property, it shows that your eagar, and honest.  You would be surprised how far that goes to convincing someone to let go of a car that he is probably never going to get around to.  It's worth a try.

Or I could just offer him $600 because he probably doesn't know that it's worth any more than that

• Like 1

I agree that since you are in HS, the owner might consider giving you a deal. I would ask if it's for sale and then maybe offer $1000 tops. It's worth more but you might get lucky. If you really want the car and they want more within reason, I would offer whatever cash you can afford to spend and then maybe offer to do some yard work etc to pay off the difference. You could even write up a contract and have them hold the title until paid in full. High side at $3500 is about right as previously mentioned from that photo alone. Rust is the killer of any Z though so always keep that in mind. Values of these cars are currently on the rise.

I agree that since you are in HS, the owner might consider giving you a deal. I would ask if it's for sale and then maybe offer $1000 tops. It's worth more but you might get lucky. If you really want the car and they want more within reason, I would offer whatever cash you can afford to spend and then maybe offer to do some yard work etc to pay off the difference. You could even write up a contract and have them hold the title until paid in full. High side at $3500 is about right as previously mentioned from that photo alone. Rust is the killer of any Z though so always keep that in mind. Values of these cars are currently on the rise.
4 grand even with the dented fender and the oxidized paint?

$3,500 with the one picture you've provided is all we can see offering.  Those ZXs have a good transmission if it's a manual and the power plant is at the top end of engineering for the L series motor.

You're really Christmas catalog wishing right now.  Need more info.  Knock on the door or put a letter in his mailbox if your scared to knock.  I have a neighbor with no grass and am not knocking on his door!  I think he killed it with Roundup?   Rough exterior but may be a nice guy.  Good luck with your quest.  We'd be more than happy to help if you get it.