IGNORED

ZCON 2018 Roll Call

SteveJ

Matsuo San was in the registration room graciously signing memorabilia this evening. After he finished signing he hung around and the 5 or 6 people left in the room were thanking him for coming and started asking him questions about the design process. He spent about 15 minutes drawing diagrams and explaining his process. Some of the same things he talked about in the Tech Talk, but others as well. We were just mesmerized. The session was recorded, so hopefully it will be shared. It was one of my highlights of the convention.

Altogether an awesome day. Congratulations to the aerial photo crew for putting that together. I am looking forward to seeing the photo.

• Like 1

I haven't had the camera out too much this week. I knew in my heart it would be that way, though I didn't want to be.

However, I made up for it other ways.

1. I got to work with a great team that no matter what disagreements we might have had, we put differences aside and worked together.

2. I had the privilege of assisting Matsuo-san put together the slides for his presentation.

3. I got to spend some more time hanging out with John & Sylvia at the track. I leave John alone. He has plenty of other people bothering him. Sylvia is a hoot.

4. Johnnie Gable shared some of her stories with me. There isn't much that can slow her down.

Organizing a ZCON is a wonderful experience that I hope never to do again. LOL My hat is off to the ZCCA directors for putting the effort into making it happen year in and year out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 240260280 said:

If this is on early Z's AND it is to deal with the crank vibration then Nissan would have known about it long before Brock got his racer.

7 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Please remind me to go into more detail about what Peter and John said. I am busy with preparation for the closing ceremony today and tomorrow.

The narrative - as related in the September 2018 issue of Classic Motorsports Magazine - doesn't really add up.

Nissan was very well aware of the harmonic problem with the L24 crankshafts even before the end of 1969, several months before Bob Sharp received his first 240Z - let alone BRE.

The lead-time involved in investigation of the problem, re-designing the crankshaft, machining and testing the new forgings and then putting them into full production, apparently took something like 12 weeks or so. BRE were relaying their findings back to "the factory" (wasn't that Katayama's job?) in good faith and "hearing nothing" when Nissan were in fact already hard at work rectifying the problem and putting the new parts into production. New Year 1969/70 got in the way, with Nissan's forging plant shut down for a week's holiday.

Hearing these stories is fascinating, but we need to hear the viewpoints and facts from all sides before we put the big picture together. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Keep the updates coming!  Some of us couldn't make it and would love some updates from Zcon...

m

I drove over Friday to spend the day with our gang at Road Atlanta and have my picture taken with Guy. LOL

Great group of people, some new faces and some I'd already had the pleasure of meeting in Memphis.  Thank you all for a fantastic day.  Cliff

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.