IGNORED

ZCON 2018 Roll Call

SteveJ

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

And I heard from Cliff. He and Mark headed straight to the track from the airport. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

We'll be there Friday around lunch.  I laughed when I got the invite to the pool party a few minutes ago, now I know why. LOL

See all you guys tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Tonight we had the presentations by Matsuo San & Peter Brock. Randy Jaffe and I joked with John Morton that he could just correct Pete where he was wrong.

Matsuo San approached me about two hours prior to the session for help with his pictures, so I made a quick and very dirty powerpoint for him to show his pictures and tell his story. Of course, I made a copy of the picture folders after asking his permission. He was was talking to me about a couple of the photos, and I was able to tell him the terms used by Americans. He mentioned the option for the rally clock, and I opened up @zclocks website. Ron - He asked me to print a copy of it for him. I need to remember to give it to him. Eiji Hosami said that Matsuo San loves coming to the conventions. Back home he is just another grandfather. Here, he is a rock-god! He entertained us with stories about his early design work with Nissan on the 410 and 510. He followed up with his presentation on the 240Z that I helped with. He OWNED the house. It didn't hurt that Eiji did a fantastic job of translating for Matsuo San. @Diseazd- I didn't have a chance to thank Eiji afterward. Please send me a PM with his email address so I can craft a proper note of appreciation.

It was a tough act to follow, but Peter Brock isn't your typical following act. You could hear the emotion in his voice as he talked about Mr. K and what he did for Peter. I sensed the pain one feels when recalling a lost friend. It was great to hear about how they developed the Z for SCCA racing and how they managed the 70 campaign to keep John eligible for the championship despite the teething pains of breaking in a new car. John didn't say much, but I have learned that it's good to pay close attention to what he does say. He elaborated on what Peter said about the challenges of the crankshaft, mentioning the patch added to the early oil pans to compensate for the issues with the harmonics.

After that John, Peter, and Matsuo San sat for an autograph session. I showed Gayle where registration was, and joked around about them not bringing merchandise to sell. She told me about Peter's travelling schedule, and I replied that it made me appreciate my anonymity. Finally I ended up talking with Johnnie Gable about the video she shot of the Atlanta convention in 1995. There are many Easter eggs in the videos that I have to look for.

It's track day at Road Atlanta tomorrow and the People's Choice/Z Nationals show on Saturday. I expect in excess of over 400 cars for that show.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 7:55 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Thanks Charles,

My wife recently completed a long run of prednisone and the withdrawal left her with fatigue and body aches, now subsiding.  She was in no shape to travel so we had to cancel our plans for ZCON.  You, the Jims, Cliff, and others will have to party just a wee bit harder to cover for us.  See you all next year in Branson I hope.

Jim

Yes, I hope to see you two in Branson. My prayers for a good recovery

C

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

If this is on early Z's AND it is to deal with the crank vibration then Nissan would have known about it long before Brock got his racer.

Please remind me to go into more detail about what Peter and John said. I am busy with preparation for the closing ceremony today and tomorrow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.