IGNORED

PARTS WANTED

240z70

The throttle lever was considered unsafe for the US, and the dealers had to pull the levers out of the cars before they sold.

They can still be found occasionally, on eBay and the like. A guy on FB DPAN says he has a lever and knob. Not sure if it includes the mount and cable though. 

Repo knobs found at http://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4818298 (Out of stock currently)

The deal on hand throttles -

They came as standard equipment on the very early imports and were supposed to be removed at the port of entry or the dealer during dealer prep.  Very very few cars were sold equipped with the hand throttle.  We have discussed owner manuals with the hand throttle label physically covered with a piece of paper.  We have tried to establish how many cars came so equipped but the difficulty is within the idea that cars were not imported in sequential VIN order.  There is too much documentation as high as three-digit VINs being sold in January 1970.  So, you see, the hand throttle was never intended to be sold in North America.  That being said, hand throttle systems could be sold over the parts counter and I have one; brand new in the Nissan bag.  They are a very popular feature, somewhat prolific, but not necessarily a "required" early car feature.

Another component to the hand throttle is the gas pedal arm.  The cable from the lever goes to a ball and socket on the gas pedal.

• Like 4

@26th-Z that is a great point. Most do not know the correct petal is needed. Also isn’t there a required bracket under the dashboard which locks in the cable?

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

1 minute ago, 7tooZ said:

@26th-Z that is a great point. Most do not know the correct petal is needed. Also isn’t there a required bracket under the dashboard which locks in the cable?

Yes the correct pedal is part of the whole set up. In all the cars I've seen, the pedal with the extra tab were left in the cars. No need to change that out when they removed the cable and lever assembly. Later models do not have the tab. My car had the bracket fixed under the dash where the cable sheath locks into place. From there the ball end of the cable hooks to the pedal tab, pulling above the fulcrum engaging the throttle.

• Like 1

I’ll dig through my photos from years ago. But here is how I would describe it.
The inner wire of the cable has a medal button attached to it at the very end. In front of it is a nylon looking grommet shaped to snap into the back side of the tab at the top of the gas petal. That grommet allow the gas petal to ride on the inner wire and allows the gas petal to move freely until the lever pulls the wire to make contact. When the lever is pulled back it holds the gas petal at that position.

Works good for holding a higher RPM at cold start without using the choke. Aids in warming a cold engine. It could be used for increasing idle speed for sync the carbs but SUs have a screw for that.
Really doesn’t do much.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

21 hours ago, 240z70 said:

No, not the linkage under the hood but the lever on the console that controls the RPM...Like a suicide lever since it acts like a cruise control but without any way to lower the rpm unless you move the lever or shut off the engine.....very hand but not for cruise control.....LOL.....it came on very early z but mine is missing it.

here is the end of the cable

Throtte lever cable.jpg