IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

49 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I'm looking at the invoice from 11/20/2014.

$360 each $720 minus 15% cyber monday $108, $62.94 S/H for a total of $674.94.

I would call and see if he would still do the 15% off.  Super nice guy, Dave if I remember right.

That is correct, Dave Patton

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, haven't posted in awhile...not much to tell.  Mostly I have been practicing welding.  My sheet metal is very thin - 16-18 gauge.  I ordered 20 gauge but they gave me this crap. Definitely not 20.  I will make sure I get the correct one when I do the actual work.  I am feeling better about my spot welds! As you can see I have been experimenting. First day there were a lot of burn-through.  Rookie! Mostly I have been playing around to get the feel of the welder and see how the metal reacts. Looking to weld my first patch next week.  

r_IMG_0198.jpeg

r_IMG_0197.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 6:45 AM, gotham22 said:

I really would like to do it myself. My concern is I don’t have a garage (car is always covered in the driveway).  Not sure what fire precautions I need to take welding in my driveway next to my house. I don’t have a ton of room  

I actually love love trying to do new things and I have been reading up on mig welding. Plus thI satisfaction of doing something yourself is amazing. 

I am a mechanic, but not a restorer, and I have decided to weld and fix all my rust issues on my 240 and fully restore it. I have the room to do it. I can see if you dont have the room to do it may make it more daunting, but where theres a will theres a way. 

20181016_160623.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DC871F said:

I am a mechanic, but not a restorer, and I have decided to weld and fix all my rust issues on my 240 and fully restore it. I have the room to do it. I can see if you dont have the room to do it may make it more daunting, but where theres a will theres a way. 

20181016_160623.jpg

My apologies if we covered this somewhere else, but I don't like to hang the car with all the suspension on it. It nearly doubles the weight of the car and adds a lot more stress on the attachment points. My 2 cents

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patcon said:

My apologies if we covered this somewhere else, but I don't like to hang the car with all the suspension on it. It nearly doubles the weight of the car and adds a lot more stress on the attachment points. My 2 cents

We did, and you put a little fear in me so its all good now.

I looked at the attach points and nothing moved.

1 hour ago, gotham22 said:

My sheet metal is very thin - 16-18 gauge.  I ordered 20 gauge but they gave me this crap. Definitely not 20.  I will make sur

Your practice welds are just fine, try running a bead with every setting the welder has, run them right next to each other and label them so you start to get a feel for what is too much and not enough. Your machine will have a chart that will get you in the ball park but it's better to know by sight and feel.

Re the quote above, you know that 16-18ga are thicker than 20ga.  20ga is more difficult to weld than what you are practicing on, much easier to blow holes through, it can be difficult to run a bead on 20ga, a better way is a number of spot welds or tack welds untill you have a bead made up individual welds.

Looking good!