IGNORED

WTB: Close ratio 5 sp trans and Engine Belly Pan

Tj320z

Just curious Tom and Mike. What is involved in buying the Quaife R180 LSD insert that Whitehead sells and installing in our existing R180 diff? Is that a job for the do it yourselvers or is it a job for a diff shop? 

F3575AB0-CAA0-409F-8880-EE0E238A15A1.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd

Depends on your DIY skills.  Takes some gaging to ensure bearing preload, pinion to ring position (gears messing correctly) and gear backlash.  You can probably find info online that will detail the general steps but, I suspect best left to an appropriate shop.

Tom

None are stock.....all are modified L28’s.....HP varies from 190 at the flywheel to 250 (Stroker). Only thrash em in a straight quarter mile run.....Quaife R180 ok? I don’t really want to do an R200 swap if not necessary. 

Edited by Diseazd

Guy,

I consider my son and I pretty good mechanics, but installing an LSD and getting all of the preloads and backlash correct is probably out of our element.  Not to mention that I probably don't have all of the right tools either.  I would definitely have it installed and setup by a pro.  And as @7tooZmentions will preserve your warranty as well. 

Also, and I am far from an expert on this, but there are also different types of LSD's depending on the kind of driving that you are going to do.  The Quaife is based on a gear design and is a 1 way LSD meaning that it locks under acceleration and free wheels during braking.  This was recommended for basic spirited street driving which is why I went that way.  The OS Giken is a clutch based design and can be configured as either 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way where the 1.5 and 2 configuration provides either moderate or full lock under braking which is useful for tracking or drifting. 

On the 180 vs 200 I decided that seeing I was going to change anyway and do have more HP than a stock setup, the 200 made sense and it wasn't really any more money except for the fact that I had to change the mustache bar as well.  It in end it was probably a bit of an overkill for my application but I should never have to worry about it again.

If you've got more questions on the different types of diffs, etc I'd recommend talking to Mike at Whitehead.  He was extremely helpful and informative when I was in the decision process and definitely knows the S30 platform.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

• Like 1