IGNORED

DIY Gland Nut Socket - With PICS!

Hardway

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided to experiment a little. I bought a fork cap tool and reamed it out to fit a gland nut. Sorry for the picture quality. I didn't feel like getting a better camera when I was done.

Package.jpg

Filing done.jpg

With Gland Nut.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 4:59 PM, Diseazd said:

Got me a real wrench....2 inches ......I'll let you know if it works!  :wow: It weighs about 5 lbs.   A nut on one end trying to get a nut off of the other end   :rolleyes:

That's the same wrench I used for the last pair I did. I bought it for $8 bucks so it was a no brainer to give it a shot. you might have to use the open end and shove a 1/16th shim on one side to get it to be snug and protect the edges of the gland nut.

no heat required. I just bolted the hub to a wheel/tire and put it face down on the ground and stood on the bottom/back of the strut tube where the spindle is and pulled upward with the wrench. No heat or extra force required. Worked quite well.

No harm, no foul.......   Took it to Citizen's Machine Shop. They couldn't get em off either......not with the thin gland nut head anyway. Carlos welded a plumbing fixture to the top of the gland nut and used an impact wrench to get them off. Some jobs just can't be done at home.

.......and brand new Tokico Blues installed  :wub:

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1