IGNORED

Choke Cable replacement

Last night I replaced the choke (cold start) cables for the carburetors.  They need to slide freely and after 44 years of usage and most likely never being lubricated since new, it was time.  After doing some research I found that 0.055" Piano wire is the best option for replacement as its affordable and able to push and pull, which is required.  I also have more than enough left over and only paid $4.60.

After disconnecting the cables from the carbs and pulling the center console apart, I removed the cables from inside the cabin, then measured the length needed.  I left myself an extra foot before I cut the Piano wire.  I bent it around the mounting plate and then lubed it very very very good before fishing it back into the housing and reconnecting.  I'm very pleased with the results!

Link to Piano Wire used:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M3JQGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

IMG_1547.thumb.JPG.35c9bb71aa0625255b334

IMG_1545.thumb.JPG.1cf01d0e75380ce50b6d7

IMG_1546.thumb.JPG.113fb61aed1f1acb58889

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

High carbon steel, eh?  Hope it doesn't rust out too quickly - not an issue in a piano, where it won't be exposed to wet conditions, but in an engine bay it will be.  

Interesting idea, but wouldn't bicycle brake cable be a better choice?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RyanT67 said:

High carbon steel, eh?  Hope it doesn't rust out too quickly - not an issue in a piano, where it won't be exposed to wet conditions, but in an engine bay it will be.  

Interesting idea, but wouldn't bicycle brake cable be a better choice?

Bike cables are braided wire and wouldn't work well in this application as it has to push as well as pull

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jarvo2 said:

Last night I replaced the choke (cold start) cables for the carburetors.  They need to slide freely and after 44 years of usage and most likely never being lubricated since new, it was time.  After doing some research I found that 0.055" Piano wire is the best option for replacement as its affordable and able to push and pull, which is required.  I also have more than enough left over and only paid $4.60.

After disconnecting the cables from the carbs and pulling the center console apart, I removed the cables from inside the cabin, then measured the length needed.  I left myself an extra foot before I cut the Piano wire.  I bent it around the mounting plate and then lubed it very very very good before fishing it back into the housing and reconnecting.  I'm very pleased with the results!

Link to Piano Wire used:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M3JQGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Dave, thanks for link above.  It was very timely as I was just looking for replacement wire for my series 1 choke.  About ten years ago I bought a new cable from a local Nissan dealer and all I could get was the choke cable for a '72 car (P/N 18410-E8803).  At the time I did not know much about the differences between model years, the new cable is about 2.5" shorter than my original one.  I was able to get it installed but the bend in the cable coming from the termination at the top of the carbs is now quite tight and it takes a fair amount of effort to use the choke lever and I have been afraid I might break the fragile plastic knob.  I don't want to push my luck so I have been thinking about putting new wire in the old cable sheaths which luckily I kept.

Thanks again and hopefully soon I will have a slightly used 18410-E8803 for sale.

Mike

Regardless of what is used, grease the heck out of it!  I even sprayed silicon lubricant into the cable housing.  The Piano wire seems to be more flexible than lawnmower cable, so it'll pull/push smoother.

• Like 1

Here's another idea for choke cable wire if you are worried about corrosion:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#9495k91/=11m0s0p

It has a little lower tensile strength than A228 music wire but it still looks to have good properties and a good price.

56edc8efa79b0_SSWire.thumb.JPG.f0b711ef3

McMaster-Carr also has Hi-tensile steel music, Here are the specs for comparison to the SS wire above:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#9666k68/=11m0vpx

This wire does have a phosphate coating which would give a small amount of corrosion resistance and help decrease friction inside the outer cable sheath.

56edca67deaa5_MusicWire.thumb.JPG.c4edf8

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1