IGNORED

New owner of '77 280z from Upstate SC

the_tool_man

wow, so sorry to hear - puts a lot of things in perspective.

while you may not get all your investment back (hard to do on these cars) i'm sure folks will chime in with suggestions to help you sell it. 

hope things brighten up and you find a brighter path forward.

• Like 1

I sure am sorry to hear about your health issues.  Fortunately they have come so far with treatment now you have a good chance of beating it, my next door neighbor did with something called "proton therapy" at MD Anderson in Texas.  Best of luck.

I personally wouldn't spend another dime on your Z, $9,000 is a lot already for a 280.  If it was a 240, maybe you'd get your money back.  Again, best of luck.

• Like 1

Very unfortunate news and I will include you in my prayers.

I went through one hell of a scare last year when a tumor marker in my routine blood work came back 3 times over normal limits. Had to go through a full month of very intense testing (more blood work, 2 full body MRIs, endoscopy, and a sh-t load more) until they were able to rule out pretty much all the bad stuff. There's still a very remote possibility that something else might show up in the future so I have to stay vigilant. At that point my Z car became my best therapy. Working on it when I could and dealing with the issues that arose kept me away from dwelling on all the negative thoughts that otherwise went through my mind continuously associated with the possible diagnosis. I know everybody is a little different but perhaps you shouldn't get rid of your Z. Maybe it's there to help you through this rough patch as you receive whatever treatment is needed to cure or manage this disease. You're in the best place in the world for medical treatment. Your chances at beating cancer are better than they've been in history and the way you approach it mentally will influence the outcome. Hang in there pal, best of luck and don't sell your Z.

Edited by dmoralesbello
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I hope things work out for the best.  You might just want to let the car sit for now.  There's nothing about it that demands a decision unless you're trying to raise some money.  Then I get it.  

I bought my road worthy '76 280z for $6,500.  It has some rust issues but it was running and driveable.  

As a buyer I probably wouldn't want to give you more than $4,000 for a non-running car.  If I had high confidence that there was nothing seriously wrong with the motor and the car didn't have any rust I might go to $5,000.  If the car was running well and rust free, I would expect you could get $8-9K.  

Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable posters will chime in.  This is just my opinion.  

• Like 1

I pulled up this thread just the other day because I was curious if you ever got it up and running again.  So sorry to hear this, and I hope your prognosis is good.

If you can afford to hang on to the car, I think you should.  If you need the funds, then it's probably worth it to get it running again; "not running" knocks a ton off the price you can get.  Best wishes either way!

• Like 1

Wow.  Thank you for all the supportive words.  I really appreciate it.

I don't need the money (at least not yet, as the medical bills haven't started).  I'm in a weird sort of "simplify my life" mode these days.  I have a lifetime of unfinished business that I feel like I need to "fish or cut bait" on.  But you're correct that I don't need to be rash here.

Honestly, being told the car is worth so much less than I have in it, does give me reservations about selling it.  When I bought the car for $7800, I thought I got a deal (seller was asking $11,500).  But perhaps I underestimated the value difference between the 240s I see for sale on the west coast, and this car.  Maybe the thing to do is let that shop get it running, and see if I can live with the result for a while.  Maybe it will appreciate.  And in the mean time, I can drive it, which IS why I bought it.

Again, thank you for the comments.  Considering that we are effectively strangers, I didn't expect such a response.  This is truly a special community.  It gives me some measure of regret that I haven't met any of you in person.

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

John, the glass is half full, fight it.

Good luck

Yea John be positive; it's the best medicine. I had 2 cancers in 08 and 09 back to back and I am still kickin!  Had a basal cell carcinoma on my cartilage in my nose which I had 20 proton beam treatments after I had prostate cancer surgery.  Thankfully I was on active duty Army at the time so I ended up coming out smelling like a rose. Free medical, 100% VA disability pension,  Army retirement, and social security disability pension paid back to 6 months after I was med-evaced out of Iraq.  I would probably buy your Z car for my son. but it would take me 2 or 3 months since today I committed to buy a home. Keep me in mind.  Get well and remember being positive is your best medicine.

Steve

• Like 1