IGNORED

Horsepower Estimate

fixitman

A little background into the transmission code and what it means:

IIRC (FS5W71B)

F = Floor selector (R = Remote selector)
S = Special overdrive top gear. No "S" than its a direct drive 1:1 top gear
5 = Number of forward gears (3, 4 and 5)
W = Warner Synchros (C = Servo type synchro "Porsche type")
71 = Centre lines between Main shaft and countershaft (others 56mm, 63mm)
A = Suffix number (Version: A, B, C, E & H).

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I had Rebello in mind for some reason.  E88 head?  Did Floyd do any port work on the head?  There could be a lot more questions.

Stock 260 head; I believe that is a E88.  I asked for polishing.  The valves and seats were cut.  I cannot say for sure that the head was ported.

6 hours ago, gnosez said:

I would think that with some carb tuning, advancing the timing, and a better dizzy you should see another 10-20 hp. I base that on our L24 street/track engine with triple 44mm and a similar build as yours. We got 210@crank running 110 octane at 34 degrees advance with a CR of 12:1. The L28 and 3.2L engines in full race mode make 294 and 345@crank respectively. Those run between 13.1 to 13.7:1 CRs. We use a 75 dizzy (vintage rules), an MSD box, 8.5 Magnacor wires and NGK non-Iridium plugs (race fine wire instead).

Where may I ask did you get your R180 LSD? I would suggest a 3:70 or 3:90 ratio diff to improve the driving experience.

Sorry, I missed your question.  I bought the R180 LSD from Bob Sharp Racing when they were selling off parts from the early Z race cars.  They said it was a racing spare.

If I'm asked which 5-spd should I get and what diff to go along with it for general street use and perhaps some track time I would answer:

a 1980-83 non-turbo 280ZX (or "B" tranny as opposed to a 280 coupe or 2+2 "A" tranny - the one with just one rear tab near the tail) and the R200 3:90 diff that was in that same 280ZX.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2016 at 11:41 AM, fixitman said:

My early 1974 260Z was recently run on a chassis dyno to tune the Mikuni 40PHH carbs.  The tuning is not complete.  But, so far, 139 bHP and 143 ft lbs have been measured at the rear wheels.  Based on the following drive train description, what are realistic performance expectations?

Thanks

Drive Train Description

Production date:              April 1974

Air box:                                K&N Lamborghini 3-carb filter in Jim Wolf Racing aluminum housing with Mikuni air horns

Alternator:                          60 amp

Camshaft:                           Racer Brown SS-54-110 – 236 degree duration at 0.025” lift with 0 lash, 110 degree lobe centers, and 0.480” lift net, and valve spring/retainer package

Carburetion:                      Mikuni triple side draft, 40PHH with 32mm chokes

Cylinder head:                      Decked 0.020”

Bronze valve guides

280Z intake valves, 0.173” dia.

280Z exhaust valves

Valves and seats grinded

Built by Floyd Link, Torrance, CA

Exhaust:                               Custom fabricated with flanged connections

Header:                Euro Car Anti-Reversionary, 1 ½” dia. tubing, 3 into 2, 2 ¼” dia. collector outlet

System Dia.:       2 ¼”

Resonator:          Borla resonator

Muffler:               Borla turbo muffler

Fuel rail:                               Custom fabricated to duplicate functions of the original system using original brackets

Ignition:                               New stock coil

New stock distributor

Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro

NGK Iridium spark plugs

Oil pump:                            ZX-Turbo unit

Pistons:                               Datsun 0.040” over, flat top        

Differential:                        R180 limited slip, 3.545 R&P set, Bob Sharp Racing spare

Transmission:                    New 1978 280Z 5-speed

I have that exact camshaft. I told Racer I wanted an autocross cam and that is what he ground for me.

Oops. just saw the date on the build sheet.  1974.  Wow.  That was just a couple of years after BRE disbanded if I read my internet right.

To be clear though - is that "Production date" for the factory engine or the Link-built engine?

Edited by Zed Head

56 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Oops. just saw the date on the build sheet.  1974.  Wow.  That was just a couple of years after BRE disbanded if I read my internet right.

To be clear though - is that "Production date" for the factory engine or the Link-built engine?

Floyd built the head in 1983.

12 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

1983 is still ~33 years ago.  You were right, time to get that thing tuned and drive it. 

Priorities change over time.  I'm going to feel like a young man again.  I wonder what happened to the little Italian girl that graced the passenger seat.