IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Well after running the engine and looking at the plugs I decided to pull the 135 main jets and install 130's.

I then pulled the valve cover to recheck the valves as one was very noisey.  They were all way off except for 2 out of the 12.

Most were way too tight. I set the valve lash on the workbench before torquing  head on engine.

I am wondering if that changed the settings from the workbench. Next time I will recheck valves after torque.

Then there is the noisey loose valve. Bigtime loose! I could turn the locknut with my fingers!

I don't know what happened. Either I was tired when I did the settings or I am loosing it. I definately did not have the lock nut tight.

Well tomorrow I will run it again and set the pilot jets and balance out the carbs.

Just now, Lumens said:

Jai, do you know what wheels are on yours?

Centerline made a set that looked like those for the Z.

Very lightwieght and very desired by autocrossers years ago.

Lumens, yes I do.  The idiot that prepared RB for sale put these brand new wheels on her using steel nuts, which ruined the wheels,  buggered up the holes.  So I had no option but to get new ones. That brand no longer makes them.  But I really liked their appearance and kept looking until I found them at American Racing.  I am very happy with them.  Thank you.

9 hours ago, Lumens said:

Well after running the engine and looking at the plugs I decided to pull the 135 main jets and install 130's.

I then pulled the valve cover to recheck the valves as one was very noisey.  They were all way off except for 2 out of the 12.

Most were way too tight. I set the valve lash on the workbench before torquing  head on engine.

I am wondering if that changed the settings from the workbench. Next time I will recheck valves after torque.

Then there is the noisey loose valve. Bigtime loose! I could turn the locknut with my fingers!

I don't know what happened. Either I was tired when I did the settings or I am loosing it. I definately did not have the lock nut tight.

Well tomorrow I will run it again and set the pilot jets and balance out the carbs.

Same exact thing happened to me.  After the 20 minute run-in I rechecked mine, I don't remember but just about all of them were way too tight.  I had set mine prior also using cold measurements.  I just freshened up the OE E88, no new metal.  I don't understand it but at the 200 mile oil change mine were all mostly still in adjustment.  

Maybe the cam tower bolts getting tighter after the heat introduced at start up???

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Redwing said:

Zed Head, actually CZCC did win something. When I signed in at the show Saturday morning, it asked what club I participated in.  Naturally I wrote CLASSIC Z CAR CLUB.  Remember, RedBird has been shared by many members, giving their support, giving their time, giving their parts, giving their love.  For this , I thank all of you for giving RedBird and I this opportunity to shine!  

Thanks for including the club!! :)

• Like 1

IMG_7036.MOVDyno run today!

180 hp/240 Nm to the wheels!u

Theres some more power to be had in tuning but it runs great as it is so I don't think I'm going to spend more time on the tuning unless I get some port work done to the head.

im happy with the numbers it's not a race car.

Edited by moelk

Took the Z out on the road for first test. Its running pretty good. Brought it back and pulled the plugs.

Looks like its a little lean yet. Put one size larger pilot in. Will road test again tomorrow.

Rain storms rolled in before I could go any further. Gauges look normal. Clock even works too!

IMG_20160713_141516.jpg

• Like 1

• Mike locked this topic