IGNORED

Best Currently Available Dry Tire for 15x7

DaveR

2 hours ago, JSM said:

Hey Chickenman why is that.

Just personal choice. I find the overall diameter of the 225/50 x16 is a bit too large. I prefer a smaller diameter tire on the car as I will be lowering it further and I am going to have an issue with fender rub. Main reason I went with 16" rims is because of tire selection and I have a BBK up front with 12" rotors and Z32 four piston calipers. Tire selection has improved lately in 15's though and it turns out the 15" Rewinds would have cleared the calipers. 

I've seen 205/50x 15's on a local car that is lower than mine and it is the look I want. It has the same wheels and it just looks more " correct " . The sidewalls are also a bit too flexy, with a 225/50 x16. Makes for a comfortable ride, but corner turn in is a little too slow for my taste. The other issue with the 225/50 x16's is that the steering is really heavy. That is more of a tire design issue though ( Conti Extreme DW ). My biceps grew an inch the first year I drove the car. No kidding!!  I've heard that the Firestone Indy 500 tire has very light steering, so I may go with those down the road. 

I know yall have 280s but just to be taliking, I like the 15's better myself.  The 16's are a bit too big on my color cars.  They look awesome on some better colors, dark green and yellow cars are my favorites with the full wheel well the 16"s provide. :)

Here's some random pictures I have uploaded.

240 with 16" Rewinds

240Z.jpg

Konigs on 240.jpg

Blue 280 with 16"s, previous 240 with stock 14" set up.

240 bumper.jpg

280 and 240 with 14" wheels and tires.

DSC00170.JPG 

6 hours ago, Chickenman said:

Just personal choice. I find the overall diameter of the 225/50 x16 is a bit too large. I prefer a smaller diameter tire on the car as I will be lowering it further and I am going to have an issue with fender rub. Main reason I went with 16" rims is because of tire selection and I have a BBK up front with 12" rotors and Z32 four piston calipers. Tire selection has improved lately in 15's though and it turns out the 15" Rewinds would have cleared the calipers. 

Completely agree.  I bought my 16" Panasports about 10 years ago when 15" tire choice was very limited as were wheel choices.  I run 225/50R16 tires and they rub and look too big even though they are the exact same OD as the OE 14" tires.  I might try 225/45R16 tires next.  There are only a few choices in that size, but I think they will fit better.  For my race car, I bought 15" Rewinds.  The Rewinds are just over 1/3 the price of what I paid for the Panasports.  I run tiny OD 225/45R15 tires on those.

IMG_4025.jpgIMG_4023.jpg

On 12/27/2015 at 4:29 AM, siteunseen said:

I've got 15" Koning Rewinds from Direct Tire with Hankook Ventus 205/50s and love them.  $560 after all the rebates, great deal to me.  15s on the orange one, 16s on the red.  I prefer the 15s on a 240.  The 16s are on my 280 now.

site, what spring kit are you running on both of yours? I like how they sit.

I am planning going new Eibach's on mine. Or maybe Vogtland springs.

The ones I have now are just way too harsh for the street. My tooth fillings are comeing loose.

5 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Completely agree.  I bought my 16" Panasports about 10 years ago when 15" tire choice was very limited as were wheel choices.  I run 225/50R16 tires and they rub and look too big even though they are the exact same OD as the OE 14" tires.  I might try 225/45R16 tires next.  There are only a few choices in that size, but I think they will fit better.  For my race car, I bought 15" Rewinds.  The Rewinds are just over 1/3 the price of what I paid for the Panasports.  I run tiny OD 225/45R15 tires on those.

I'm having a good hard look at the Falken Azenis RT615K in a 215/45x16. That's 23.6" in diameter and 7.6" Tread width on a 7" wide rim .

The other tire is the Firestone Indy 500 in a 205/45x16. That's 23.2" in diameter, but it's only 6.9" Tread Width on a 7" rim. 

8 hours ago, Chickenman said:

I'm having a good hard look at the Falken Azenis RT615K in a 215/45x16. That's 23.6" in diameter and 7.6" Tread width on a 7" wide rim .

The other tire is the Firestone Indy 500 in a 205/45x16. That's 23.2" in diameter, but it's only 6.9" Tread Width on a 7" rim. 

I used to run RT615K's on my race car.  Not a bad tire, but pretty out of date now.  They haven't made any major changes in about five years, while the competition have all come out with several new versions in that time.  Check out the Dunlop Star Spec.  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR6Z2SS&tab=Sizes

• Like 1