IGNORED

I need help with a Dime wagon

Patcon

• 2 months later...

I need some help sourcing a radiator support...I have emailed with Dave Patten from Futofab, I have emailed Rod with Rods Datsun Parts. I will have to call Courtesy but am not hopeful there. The one we have was stretched badly in a collision, I don't think I have the skills to salvage it. Anyone have a source for a 510 radiator support? TIA

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post this here, since I would only clutter up my own thread. Cody and I worked on his wagon today. We found a new hood with SteveJ's help as well as the radiator support I needed. The hood had some rust bubbles along the front so I knew it was rusted through. So I drilled out the edge of the hood and the places where the structure was welded. The rear edge of the hood where it is pinched over doesn't have any spot welds. I used a putty knife and open the pinch up a little to get it open enough to get the support structure out.

20160116_122052.thumb.jpg.57deecc868a6bb

I took the structure out of the hood. Then we used Eastwood rust dissolver to get the rust out of the inside of the hood. It worked pretty good, just kept brushing it on to keep it wet.

The shiny metal is where the rust has already been removed. The process slows down when a lot of rust get into solution

20160116_122104.thumb.jpg.b4551d14a43eb4

20160116_122059.thumb.jpg.aa10aea9769a8b

The structure of the hood had big globs of black stuff, sort of like silicone to bond it to the hood skin. I cut those with a putty knife

This is what it looked like after we were done with "Rust Dissolver"

20160116_152924.thumb.jpg.f61ad6c78f2889

Razor blade off the remainder of the black goo

20160116_155626.thumb.jpg.620131fb7a0a5e

This is it with the structure laid back in it...

20160116_155656.thumb.jpg.e908e9e5fa727a

I will take the structure to the media blaster to get him to strip it for us.

20160122_144545.thumb.jpg.a57c0d05042d26

We stripped the hood with aircraft stripper today. works great but don't get it on ya'

20160122_144533.thumb.jpg.b390bb730d264620160122_144539.thumb.jpg.3698994b2fac1e

20160122_150531.thumb.jpg.1d1481079b1b6a20160122_154827.thumb.jpg.5eaecbf8c20bab

Treated it with "After blast" and started dollying out the dents. Next we will prep the radiator support we picked up. Then I will reassemble the hood. If I decided to salvage a Z hood with rust bubbles on the front edge I would go at it the same way. The only way to get it clean and deal with the rust is to disassemble them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

That's a great photo series!  I suspect the more Cody finds himself in the pics, the more his project ownership will continue to ratchet right up.  He's a very fortunate young man to have this guidance.  Good job, Dad!!!

Thanks,

I hope putting the hours in will help him make good decisions. "Dime" parts are very hard to find on the East coast. If he crunches that hood we will have a hard time finding a replacement. It is our quality time, we have had a hard time relating, the car is a good connection point...

• Like 1

To add to your list of 510 resources: Riley at Lynchburg Nissan :http://www.lynchburgnissan.com/

Unlike a lot of Nissan parts guys these days, Riley speaks fluent Datsun and is very helpful. Other references here show he's a  frequent go-to source for parts questions.

Also, the Dime Quarterly was likely the last printed newsletter in a succession of 510 enthusiast publications. Not the usual "club" format, it was loaded with tech articles. The archive site has these available as pdf's, along with related publications, manuals, etc. An index is in the first file, DQ Appendix.xls

https://drive.google.com/folderview?ddrp=1&id=0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1#

https://drive.google.com/folderview?ddrp=1&id=0ByCvxnHNk90SMzIxZWIwYWYtYzljNy00ZGU2LWI3ODctYzRjMmE0MGY3NTA1#

http://datsun510.com/manuals/

NVZEE

Thanks for that. I have a lot of the dime quarterly articles tagged in my favorites. Very good info there... It is amazing how hard some parts are to find. Stock wagon tail lights are $100-200 each. Some of the trim is almost unobtainable. Factory wagon gas cap - unobtainium

The flip side is it makes you appreciate the support the Z has commercially. Some parts can be expensive but pretty much everything is available one way or another

Edited by Patcon