IGNORED

Project Boondoggle (or, so I went and bought a Z!)

charliekwin

No idea, actually. John (the local SPI guy) referred me to another guy in Orange County for color, but I'm taking recommendations: ease of spraying and reasonable cost are my two main criteria right now (the body work is looking good and I don't want to fork it up now!!).

Speaking of color: I always planned on keeping it the original 510 blue, but yeesh, now I'm starting to reconsider....

8 hours ago, charliekwin said:

No idea, actually. John (the local SPI guy) referred me to another guy in Orange County for color, but I'm taking recommendations: ease of spraying and reasonable cost are my two main criteria right now (the body work is looking good and I don't want to fork it up now!!).

Speaking of color: I always planned on keeping it the original 510 blue, but yeesh, now I'm starting to reconsider....

So many color options. So few cars...

I don't have a recommendation, but I was going to look at the p-sheet for whatever you pick.

"reasonable cost" and automotive paint are mutually exclusive!

Started down the rabbit hole.

Car was originally 510 blue. Looking at pictures is a bad way to judge paint color, but sometimes I like it enough: image.png

Sometimes I think it looks a little too baby blue:

image.png

Especially compared to, say, this one, which was repainted in Nassau Blue (a GM color):

image.png

Or this one, posted here back in 2011:

image.png

I quite like the kind of slate-ish shade to the blue in the last one.

Then again, I would prefer to stick with single stage paint since I think I'll probably screw up base/clear; so maybe this is just wheel spinning.

ETA:

Talking myself into a color change. Already have the doors off and glass out. May as well go for it. Something in the neighborhood of the last Z, Porsche's Oslo Blue, or this Benz. The hatch interior and engine bay won't match, but won't be wildly different and could be painted later anyway.

image.pngimage.png

Edited by charliekwin

5 hours ago, charliekwin said:

Especially compared to, say, this one, which was repainted in Nassau Blue (a GM color):

image.png

Or this one, posted here back in 2011:

image.png

I quite like the kind of slate-ish shade to the blue in the last one.

Then again, I would prefer to stick with single stage paint since I think I'll probably screw up base/clear; so maybe this is just wheel spinning.

I like the 280z in front of the Harden Foundation, but I think I like this second one better. Base clear isn't that hard and in some ways is more forgiving. It is easier to touch up mistakes or blend panels with BC/CC. I don't catalyze my base coat so it needs to be top coated in 24hrs and you can't sand it. If you were to catalyze it you could wait indefinitely to top coat it and I believe it would be sandable.