IGNORED

Rocker Geometry Woes

rossiz

wow -- the n42 listed for my zip code has a price of $425... 

i paid over $600 for mine, + an additional $50 to ship it back, and now another $100 for a new set of lash pads, not to mention having the car out of commission for a couple of months and doing all the labor myself.

well, hindsight is 20/20 i guess...

Post #163 of this thread from another forum is interesting also, re rocker arms and cams - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112117-new-cam-and-rockers-odd-looking-at-500-miles/page-9#entry1133995

Wow that is interesting! Kennymonster is saying both Scheider and Isky told him that new rockers are not necessary if everything is smooth.

Yes, it seems like slightly worn Nissan parts might be better than new aftermarket parts.  Probably the only thing better is brand new Nissan original parts.  They also seem to be implying that the refinishing operation on the rocker arms can take off too much metal.  Looks like still no guaranteed path to success on a cam swap.

wow -- the n42 listed for my zip code has a price of $425... 

i paid over $600 for mine, + an additional $50 to ship it back, and now another $100 for a new set of lash pads, not to mention having the car out of commission for a couple of months and doing all the labor myself.

well, hindsight is 20/20 i guess...

Glad you're staying cool about the whole thing.  Back to the big picture - I wonder if DPLLC isn't just buying rebuilt heads from the stores and reselling them.  The two week lead time is really two weeks to get them from OReilly's.  Might explain all of the packing material and surface rust on your last "freshly" rebuilt head.

Let me know when you're sick of the whole thing and I'll stop.  I can't resist exposing these kinds of people.

The argument goes on and on. New or old rockers? If I'm going to invest the time and money to build a new engine with a new cam, I'm certainly going to break for the extra cost of new rockers ........I'll bet if you look at the old rockers under a microscope, it would be interesting. However, you'll get an argument on either side, so do what YOU think is right. I've got 5 new engines all with Isky Stage III regrinds (from original Datsun cams) and new rockers and springs. They all look and run perfect after several thousand miles. However, my friend The Z Doctor in Roanoke claims that some aftermarket cam cores are not compatable with Nissan rockers and wear quickly. He thinks that the compatability of the original metals used in Datsun engines account for the long life of the early Datsun engines, so I wouldn't use anything but orignal Datsun cams for my regrind (Isky). All IMO.

Delta Cams received my original Nissan rocker arms last friday at 4 p.m.  They called at 8:30 a.m PT and asked my card number for payment and shipping.  2 days and $3 each.  That's a pretty good turnaround time and a helluva cheap price.  He said they barely needed work, that they were in good shape to begin with.  But Schneider requires new surfaces for their warranty on my cam regrind and professional installation.  Not on Main Street Garage will set it all up for me as soon as I take my perfectly running motor apart and take them the head and intake manifold.  I emailed them and asked for one more weekend of enjoyment, 60s here on Saturday.  I'll get started on it Sunday.

When you say "new rockers" what do you mean?  Brand-wise.  I think that might be part of the problem,  The options are getting more limited.  There seem to be cheap ITM brand or more expensive Paraut.

I send my original rockers off to Delta Cams........they come back looking like new in a 10 day turnaround at $3.00 each. I like the idea of using the original Datsun metals (rockers) with the original Datsun metals (camshaft). Just like they left the factory. Isky regrinds my original Datsun camshafts.

That makes the most sense, aside from new Paraut arms, I think.  It's a shame though that Delta had a short period of time where they were grinding the surfaces off-axis, or non-parallel.  There are a few threads around from the past, where people showed that was the case, real measurements.  Had to send them back.  They really damaged their reputation with that.  Maybe had a new guy running the equipment or didn't maintain it.

Anyway, it they're doing it right now, that looks like the way to go.

I'm going to send 2 sets of rocker arms to delta: the ones from this second head (they took some a use with 500 miles on that poor setup) and the set that comes out of the p79 on my new build.

I suppose I should wait till they come back and re-measure before getting lash pads, as the resurfacing may affect geometry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk